Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

I think I found a better solution to CAI.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 09:16 AM
Default I think I found a better solution to CAI.

I just pulled this off the other night and my truck came alive again.

Since the weather has been warm my truck has been a little bit of a dog. I knew I was pulling to much air from under the hood so I decided to throw my airbox back on. I have an aftermarket intake with a cone filter. This is how I fixed my problem. (I will post pics when I find my camera).

1. Pulled off the cone air filter, the CAI heat shield, and brackets that hold the intake in place.
2. Since I removed the bracket for the airbox originally (black metal floor with airbox mounting grommets), there is a straight shot between the area around the MAF and the pavement.
3. I cleaned my old K&N and while it was drying I removed the little duct on the floor of the stock airbox, then removed the duct on the side of the air box and cleaned it out.
4. I then cut a large square shaped hole in the bottom of the box. I re-oiled the filter and threw the entire thing back on.
5. When I reinstalled the intake and airbox I noticed the plastic fenderwell lined op with the square hole in the bottom of the box in such a way that it looks as if it would deflect air into the box. I mounted the box so it wasn't blocked by anything and made sure the openings on the side were lined up with the holes in the fender (where the original ductwork fit).
6. Because of the intake tube being solid and slightly longer than the stock tube, the airbox fit snug in that area, the openings where not blocks by anything and allowed the air to be pulled from openings and not from hot air under the hood.

Now my truck runs like a scalded dog. I even had to adjust my fuel trims back a little because it was running to rich. My MPG and acceleration improved considerably.

Old 06-21-2008, 02:32 AM
Default RE: I think I found a better solution to CAI.

More air and running rich? I don't get it.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:35 PM

Colder air thru the MAF and the PCM will add more fuel. Hotter air and the PCM will remove some of the fuel trim. I had to jack it up 2% to run normally with the cone filter because it pulled too much hot air from under the hood. Now with the box being setup the way it is it is pulling colder air into the intake, so it needs more fuel to burn the denser air charge. Makes a difference in torque especially. 2% increase in fuel trims with the airbox on made it dog a little when you tromped on it. So I rolled it back to 1%, and magnifico!

Old 06-28-2008, 10:16 AM

Makes sense to me.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:30 AM

wow thats alot of work...ill just buy a CAI. cool idea though

Old 06-30-2008, 09:22 AM

Thats the point. The CAI I had (which is like 90% of the CAIs out there, same design and function) was pulling in too much hot air from under the hood. The tube came in handy and the stock airbox works better than the round filter element. Only alternative to doing all the work is to buy a Volant. $$$

Old 07-15-2008, 03:03 AM

With my CAI my inet air temp runs 1 or 2 degrees above outside temp.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:31 AM

Would a cowl hood do a better job?

Old 07-15-2008, 09:49 AM

zimsilverado: What kind do you have?

moose: Yes, a functional one.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:57 PM

sounds good that's basically how i ran mine too,through the stock mounting plate.the only difference is i put a scoop on the end of the tube. good job!

Quick Reply: I think I found a better solution to CAI.