Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 02:44 PM
Lightbulb ideas?

what are some cheap things i can do to my 99 silverado to get better performance, gas milage, accelleration....ect? already have cold air intake and flowmaster super 40 exhaust

Old 09-08-2009, 11:12 PM

coolant bypass=free, Throttle body spacer= 80$-90$, Programmer=300$-400$(others will snap the second they hear about someone buying a programmer because they have thousands of dollars sitting around to do that with. My superchips does just what I need, provides programming for power, fuel economy or towing. corvette servo(im uneducated about it). Porting your throttle body will help. That is a pretty extensive job but it sounds promising. Then you get into headers and cams, from there it gets pricey.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:34 PM

I know it's pretty basic, but make sure your tires are KEPT at the max for the conditions you are driving. For normal use, I keep them at 44 PSI. This whole topic is a study in itself, but everything I can gather tells me that 44 is right for most conditions.

Gerald

Old 09-09-2009, 12:26 AM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

A good cam and torque conveter for bout 700 bucks and do it yourself. You can add bout 70 horses right there but gain more in torque.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:30 PM

Servicing your truck will help with throttle responce (if you want to really help your power and dont mind the cost, synthetic fluids will help anytime. Also don't forget to change the trans and differencial fluids with synthetics as well for the most gains from a fluid change). Change the plugs if you have the coil near plug then change the wires. If you have the older 5.7L then you need to change the cap and rotor. This will help a ton if you have never done it. Also cleaning your throttle body and MAF sensor will help. They sell these specific cleaners at most parts stores.

After that, I would go for the throttle body spacer. Then the programmer or professional tune. Then the cam and converter, I would not reccommend the converter until you have significantly changed the tune (Power band) or overall power of your truck. This way you are in the range of getting the most out of your changes (Converter). But always keep in mind what your direction is for your truck, and dont BS your self into thinking you can use more power and get out of being able to drive it everyday. If that is the case with your truck and your situation. I have seen too many people tune their trucks out of being a "daily driver". Keep it the way you want it to be!