Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 08:53 PM
Default Ideas?

Depending on income tax return, any good ideas/ upgrades for my truck? Also, how can I make my truck louder? The local muffler shop said changing the muffler would not change the sound, is that so? Thank You

97 1500 z71
5.7 V8

Old 02-18-2008, 09:10 AM
Default RE: Ideas?

Muffler shop is wrong that guy must be more of an idiot than the one I went to most people go with flowmasters 40s or 44s. I get one online or at a speed shop and have anybody but the guy (or shop) that you talked to put it on for you.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:44 AM

Yes, That guy must be smokin something, or misunderstood you. I have a catback system on my '03 Silverado, with a Flowmaster 50 series, as i did not want the annoying loud blatting, just a nice mellow rumble when accelerating. The shop bent the pipe, installed and put on 10" chrome tips. The exhaust comes straight out the back. $400.00. Its a single in, dual out system. It sounds nice too........ Adding just a Flowmaster, Gibson, Magnaflow etc muffler WILL make a difference in the sound, not sure about the performance as the OEM exhaust is still restrictive......... Good Luck, Jim

Old 02-18-2008, 09:56 AM

From your picture and if I remember right you already have an exhaust on your truck? I would recamend if you dont alread have a flowmaster that you get one. If your muffler is a little older then it will change the sound some but nota lot.

When i get my tax returne im eather going to level the front end of my truck or get a stero system starting with the deck and maybe waiting for speakers.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:19 AM

Thanks all, I have a single in dual out going through a flowmaster, not sure what model, but its old. The muffler shop put on new tips, and that helped because the old ones were swiss cheese. When I'm hard on the gas, it seems that there might be exhaust leaking, because it doesnt sound like it is all coming out of the back, a semi high pitched rattle would best describe it. It is most notable on bridges where the sound echos off of the walls. Any thoughts as to what it might be?

Old 02-18-2008, 07:10 PM

Hmm... i suggest you check your pipes from the manifolds back for leaks. that could be the problem. but usually when there is a leak, you will know it by how loud it is.

Get another muffler shop to weld up a Flowmaster 44. I think that will be loud enough.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:49 PM

My return is going right to paying for all the sh*t I bought the first time on the credit card......

Old 02-19-2008, 09:34 PM
TruckForum Addict

Tax return what is that? I have to pay state and get like $100 back from federal.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:47 PM

I claim 9 an married 9 months of the year only get like 100 back cost that for me to file. I worked in 6 states last year.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:58 PM

It appears I lucked out on taxes this year. My home state (PA) doesn't tax military serving out of state (in LA for now, VA in a month). Federal is giving me back some good $. I found a Dynomax true dual system for my truck, does anybody have any input/feedback on it? Here's the link, it's on page 25, '97 1500 z71, Ext Cab, Short Bed. I am thinking this will make my truck louder and also more fuel efficient (or am I dreaming on this?). Thank You all for your help.

Edit: It would help to put the link in here
http://www.dynomax.com/ecat/pdfs/truckcat.pdf

Quick Reply: Ideas?