Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition cuts out - FIXED NOW :)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 04:49 PM
Default Ignition cuts out - FIXED NOW :)

Hey all. '98 Silverado 5.0. Once last week and once last night while driving highway speeds, my truck hiccupped for split second but recovered and kept going. All the lights/stereo went out and came back on and all dash lights came on then went out. The whole thing happened in less than a second, acting like I had flicked the ignition key off then back on really quickly. No CELs came on and truck seemed to keep on going as normal.

I'm thinking maybe loose wire on ignition switch (or bad switch), or maybe loose wire at starter? I haven't had a chance to look at it, mostly just hoping it'll just keep going instead of leaving me stranded somewhere.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:27 AM
Default RE: Ignition cuts out

*** UPDATE ***
Got in the truck this morning, got about 50 ft thru the parking lot and POOF - dead as disco. Small puff of smoke out from under the hood. Figured my battery had popped so opened her up CAREFULLY. Battery still intact but the positive battery cable had shorted against the exhaust manifold and FRIED (great engineering, Chevy...). Replaced the cable, and while I got dash lights again, they all go out when I try to start it up. Sulfur smell under hood so pretty sure the battery took a crap when the cable shorted out - next is to take the battery in for testing. Man, you ever try to push these beasts alone? I'm gonna feel that in the morning.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:10 AM

Damn man, I feel for you. I never tried to push my truck alone yet but I did push my 830 lb. harley home one night.It may not compare except for the fact that the rear tire was flat, i had just closed the bar and it was up hill for two miles.LOL!
good luck with the truck
Don

Old 01-15-2009, 09:01 PM

*** Update #2:
So my girlfriend (no slouch under the hood, mind you) takes my battery down to Autozone to have it tested. Guy tells her it's fine, is running 11.7volts, does not need to be replaced, and I should 'check my relays'... OK. This isn't my first trip to the rodeo, but I'll ask you guys - isn't 11.7 a bit low? And which 'relays' is this knucklehead referring to? I get the feeling he had no idea what he's talking about and figured my girl was just a dumb chick. And... as detailed in previous post, why does the battery stink of sulfur when I reconnected it?

Old 01-16-2009, 07:09 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

yes 11.7 is a little low but acceptable but your real problem lies in the fusable links you blew one or more when you shorted out these protect the rest of the truck in case of a power spike or massave short.....check them out and I think you will find your problem. I had this happen at a gas station once I pulled in to get gas shut off the truck got gas and went to start it and it would not do anything but all the lights worked found the bad link and replaced it and i was on my way. I usually replace them with an inline fuse holder and the correct size fuse

Old 01-16-2009, 08:18 PM

Hey Chris, thanks for the tip. One of the links looks damaged/cracked but looked like old damage. The new batt cable I just installed has 2 integrated fusible link pigtails for the other 2 connections (alternator and ignition switch) so probably just gonna cut the old links off and splice to fresh wire. Power drops out when I turn the key to start so maybe that connection is bad for sure...

Old 01-16-2009, 09:06 PM

So, below is my toasted alternator fusible link. Now just gotta get to parts store and buy some 8gauge or larger crimp connectors to get hooked back up - I'd solder them together but I have no power out to the lot where she died.

Name:  fusiblelink.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  22.0 KB

Old 01-16-2009, 09:25 PM

ORIGINAL: DONBAR

I did push my 830 lb. harley home one night... rear tire was flat...up hill for two miles.
Hey Don, I woulda pushed it too - ya never know who woulda loaded it up in their truck and taken it home I'm not feelin too bad but went outside after 2 days trying to move it just a little bit farther and that beast ain't goin nowhere. Where I live is attached to a large parking lot and it's kinda just sitting out there under the awning but wanted to get the nose out of traffic. I mighta gained a few inches but that's all I got

Old 01-17-2009, 11:03 AM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

as a temp fix tou can crimp in an inline fuse holder and fuse then solder it when you get home(soldering is always good)

Old 01-19-2009, 11:46 AM

*** Update 3...

Alright. Checked fusible link and while it still had continuity, I changed it. Checked and reattached all other cables. All fuses in engine box are good.

Reconnected the battery after all this and my underhood lamp and dash lights glowed very weakly. Starter relay clicks when I turn the key, so I'm assuming it's good. Engine doesn't turn, and lights come back on weakly. Starter solenoid doesn't click.

Sure sounds like my battery is done. Autozone guy says it's good but reading 11.7v - I want a second opinion.

Quick Reply: Ignition cuts out - FIXED NOW :)