Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

I'm new here and need some help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 11:26 AM
Default I'm new here and need some help!

Hey all,

I'm new owning a truck and was wondering if what I'm feeling while braking is normal for such a heavy vehicle.
When I apply the brake softly when coming to a red light the whole truck kinda vibrates like the rotors are warped. But if I give it a hard mash on the brakes, there is no vibration. I can especially feel this when slowly braking from above 40MPH. This truck is an '06 crew cab Z71 and I just bought it. Its supposed to be GM certified 5yr/100K mile warranty..Is this something i should be concerned with?
One other item, I get a bird chirping sound on slow left turns.....WTF is that about?

Thanks Guys!

Old 10-12-2007, 11:35 AM
Default RE: I'm new here and need some help!

I have the same truck, and the same brake feel. I wouldn't be concerned unless it's violent.
As for the sound......did you check for a bird? Is it all stock? hieght, tires, ect...

Old 10-12-2007, 12:17 PM

If it is felt in the steering, most likely, its the rotors, its not felt as much when you mash the brakes cause the rear drums are taking some of the braking effort off of the front brakes and also because when you mash the pedal you are forcing the brakes to slide on the pins which in turn deadens the vibration. It is very likely the rotors it's just bad enough to be a pain in the *** but not to cause problems. If the vibration is in the *** of your seat, then its prob the drums.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:17 PM

LOL, nope I didn't see a bird...the truck is stock...for now so the brakes do this on your truck too? What would cause this, the ABS?
Thanks for the reply!

Old 10-12-2007, 04:20 PM
TruckForum Addict

It's just normal for brake rotors to warp after a while. My truck does the same thing. It will eventually get worse but it's not really a problem. Just annoying as all get out. You can take it to just about any shop and have them "turn" the rotors and they problem will be gone. Or you can just get used to it. Mine isn't really bad enough that my passangers feal it when someone is riding with me so I am not gonna do anything about mine for now.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:28 AM

Just an update, I brought the truck back to the dealer and they turned the roters front and rear for me at no charge since I bought the truck a couple of weeks ago. The truck brakes 100% better now. As for that "bird" sound, that was due to a lose steering bracket...but they took care of that too and no more birds!

Old 10-25-2007, 11:19 PM
TruckForum Addict

sweet

Old 10-26-2007, 08:43 AM

Mudder69: What exactly did they tighten up, this steering bracket thing?

Old 10-26-2007, 08:53 AM

jcbst12, I'm not exactly sure. the service manger said it was related to the crush collar on the steering column. I'll need to take a harder look at the worksheet to give a more accurate account.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:38 AM

Ok Thanks, don't worry about the details. I was just curious cause my truck has a weird "tap" feeling in the steering wheel every once in a blue moon when Im turning at low speeds and I was wondering if it was something that might need tightened up.

Quick Reply: I'm new here and need some help!