Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm new here and need some help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 10:53 AM
Default RE: I'm new here and need some help!

JCBST12 is it like a rachetening feeling in the steering wheel and you can also hear it?

Old 10-26-2007, 12:42 PM

Sort of. It an't be heard. Even with the window down and the radio and fan off. But it is there, more prominent when you hit bumps. I kinda got used to it but I know its still there. I don't think I'll go replacing anything but if it is just a matter for wrenching on something I'll do it. Its like someone lightly tapping the steeing shaft with a screwdriver when I turn over bumps. I think more-so on left turns.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:28 PM

check your drag link (center link).

Old 10-26-2007, 02:04 PM

Hey jcbst12, I found this on the following web site...it might be your answer!
http://gm-trucks.com/home/content/view/232/25/

Document ID# 1893252

Subject: Clunking Noise Under Hood and Can Be Felt in Steering Wheel and/or Steering Column (Replace Upper Intermediate Steering Shaft (I-Shaft) Assembly) #00-02-35-003M - (01/31/2007)

Models: 2002-2006 Cadillac Escalade Models

1999-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Models (Classic)

2000-2006 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe Models

2002-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche

1999-2007 GMC Sierra Models (Classic)

2000-2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL Models

2003-2006 HUMMER H2

Attention: This Service Bulletin DOES NOT include Mid-Size Utilities such as Buick Rainier, Chevrolet TrailBlazer Models, GMC Envoy Models or Oldsmobile Bravada. Refer to Service Bulletin 02-02-35-006A or newer for Mid-Size Utilities.

This bulletin is being revised to update the repair procedure with a permanent fix.

Condition
Some customers may comment on a clunk-type noise coming from under the hood that also can be felt in the steering wheel. These conditions may be more noticeable when turning at low speeds on rough road surfaces.

Diagnostic Tips
Use the information below to help diagnose the source of the noise.

• Frame Snap and/or Popping Type Noise -- A frame snap or popping type noise can be duplicated on rough or smooth road surfaces with steering wheel input to the left or the right. This type of noise can be HEARD and is typically louder with the windows rolled down. For additional information, refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 03-08-61-002F or newer -- Snap/Popping Type Noise Coming from Front of Vehicle (Remove Front Crossmember, Change Fastener Orientation).

• Intermediate Shaft Clunk -- Intermediate shaft clunk is heard and FELT in the steering wheel and/or steering column area, typically while driving on rough road surfaces with steering wheel input.

Correction
DO THIS
DON'T DO THIS

Replace the I-Shaft with P/N 19153614.
Do NOT lubricate or exercise the I-Shaft.

Important:

• I-shaft P/N 19153614 has been designed to replace previous designed dampened and non-dampened I-shafts. The physical difference in the yoke size will accommodate all vehicles listed in this bulletin.

• Due to the design of the new I-shaft, it is not possible to lubricate/grease the I-shaft.

Replace the steering column upper intermediate shaft with an improved design shaft that will eliminate the clunk noise using the procedure listed below.

Set the front wheels in the straight ahead position.
Notice: On the 2002 and later model year vehicles, the steering column LOCK was removed from the steering column. It is critical that the J 42640 - Steering column Anti-Rotation Pin is used when servicing steering columns on 2002 and later model year vehicles. Failure to use the J 42640 may result in damage to the SIR coil.

Set the steering wheel in the LOCK position on 2001 and prior model year vehicles.

For 2002 and later vehicles, install the J 42640 in the steering column lower access hole.

From under the hood, remove the lower bolt that connects the upper intermediate shaft to the steering gear coupling shaft.
Slide the shaft towards the dash in order to disengage the shaft from the steering gear coupling shaft.
For vehicles equipped with adjustable foot pedals, perform the following steps:
6.1. Reposition the carpet away from the accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor.

6.2. Remove the two nuts retaining the accelerator pedal to the bulkhead.

6.3. Reposition the accelerator pedal out of the way so the intermediate shaft can be removed.
<

Old 10-26-2007, 02:16 PM

Cracker: I'll check that out, Thanks.

Mudder69: Yeah I saw that before and I called the dealer and had them check on it and according to them all recalls were fixed on my truck. I might get more info on it anyway just in case. Thanks!

Old 10-26-2007, 03:19 PM

Yeah, the steering shaft problem is pretty common on our trucks. Argon would probaly agree with that as well. GM also sells a grease kit for the problem, I can't remember the part # off the top of my head, but if you re-grease it, it will last for about six months to a year. You can also just remove the shaft and just pumped the inner shaft in and out a few times to get the grease back around everything that will aslo last for a little while. I have even tried the Borgensen replacement shaft, that they claim even fixes the problem known to be wrong with our trucks. It has a dampner on it, but Hell I think it was worse. I took it off and took it back. Just ended up regreasing my old one. It has been about 8 months now and seems to be fine

Old 10-26-2007, 03:25 PM

seb37: I'll try that, thanks!

I am currently looking at a R&amp;D job with GM and if by some chance I would get it I have a mile long list of stuff that I would address with GM. 1. Torque Management, GONE! 2. Different setup for Cab corners (mine always rusted out no matter what). 3. No more auto lights without a one time on/off switch, and so on.....!

Old 10-26-2007, 03:29 PM

Even though GM is well aware of the problem, its not a saftey issue so no recall has been issued

Old 10-26-2007, 03:37 PM

GM Grease kit part #26098419

Old 10-26-2007, 04:16 PM

My 2000 has the a little tapping too it seems like when I turn. Let me know what you find out.

Quick Reply: I'm new here and need some help!