Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Injector Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 12:10 AM
Default Injector Cleaner

I know this has been brought up a few times but just wanted to see what everybody thought now after having some time to use them. What do you all like to use for an oil additive...like lucas, restore, stp, any others? Also what would you do about fuel injector cleaner...whats best that you all use? Seafoam? Thanks alot everybody. I need to do an oil change this weekend and I am trying to figure out what I should use.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:17 AM
Default RE: Injector Cleaner

the only things i have ever added to my truck are seafoam (only added it twice) and octane booster (once). ive only use full synthetic mobile one oil too. no additives.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:26 AM

I am old school andstill use dino oil in my vehicles,
used 10w40 valvoline oil with wix filters and one qt of lucas oil stablizer per oil change.

Also treat fuel tank about 3 times per year with a can of seafoam.
Both old chevy truck (350 engine) and toyota van run great.

Good luck and be safe,

Note: my buddy (TN redneck, they are more progressive) runs model 1 in all his stuff and it also does fine.

my other buddy (KY redneck like me) runs valvoline 10w40 in his 96 with 350 engine and he has over 311K miles with no tear down and it still runs fine.

Old 05-11-2008, 12:32 PM

You can also use seafoam thew a intake vacuum line but be very very careful if you try this. But Seafoam is realy good stuff.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:32 PM

Seafoam through the gas tank treament is usually the safest overall and seems to have a actual effect after time though if your injectors are really dirty you might need several tanks or so (maybe 2-3 consecutive back to back) . Lucas is great as far as oil additives go but their octane booster/gas treatments never seem to have done anything for me besides waste money... I stand behind their oil stuff though like a freak off the street lookin for money XD Plus their additives dont void new car warranty so thats a huge plus. I got a 178k with no problems yet on my silvy now so Imma still stick with the good ol conventional HD30 n oil stabilizer.

By the way I know this is random but Argon you are the man, I added that additional quart of oil to my rear (75w-90 gear oil GL5 compliant lol...) and the clunking died all together.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:50 PM

ORIGINAL: Tweaker

Seafoam through the gas tank treament is usually the safest overall and seems to have a actual effect after time though if your injectors are really dirty you might need several tanks or so (maybe 2-3 consecutive back to back) . Lucas is great as far as oil additives go but their octane booster/gas treatments never seem to have done anything for me besides waste money... I stand behind their oil stuff though like a freak off the street lookin for money XD Plus their additives dont void new car warranty so thats a huge plus. I got a 178k with no problems yet on my silvy now so Imma still stick with the good ol conventional HD30 n oil stabilizer.

By the way I know this is random but Argon you are the man, I added that additional quart of oil to my rear (75w-90 gear oil GL5 compliant lol...) and the clunking died all together.
Wait, wait... sorry to hijack this thread, but what are you saying about that additional quart of oil? I've been noticing a clunking in my rearend and its getting anoying. If you could elaborate a little, that would be great [sm=hail.gif]

Old 05-11-2008, 09:18 PM

Heh I was running 2 quarts of 75w-90 synthetic (trying to get between 15-40mm below fill line) and I noticed there was a small LSD engagement clunk when the truck would shift from 1st-2nd at low speeds or going up a decent grade of hill (plus had a 4" rear drop). Now with at least 3 quarts the clunk is more like a mere tap as if your only feeling the clutch engage from the tranny, not a fully audible thud. Ive recently restored the stock height in the rear to reduce the bouncy feeling on bumps and still the rear hasnt "clunked" even with stock drive shaft angle.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Tweaker

Heh I was running 2 quarts of 75w-90 synthetic (trying to get between 15-40mm below fill line) and I noticed there was a small LSD engagement clunk when the truck would shift from 1st-2nd at low speeds or going up a decent grade of hill (plus had a 4" rear drop). Now with at least 3 quarts the clunk is more like a mere tap as if your only feeling the clutch engage from the tranny, not a fully audible thud. Ive recently restored the stock height in the rear to reduce the bouncy feeling on bumps and still the rear hasnt "clunked" even with stock drive shaft angle.
Alright.. Thanks man. I might have to do the same. When I changed the fluid it only took about 2 quarts to get it where it was the right amount below the fill hole. This clunk is starting to get on my nerves.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:26 AM

Only use what the guys swore by that came into Advance Auto when I worked there. A lot of mechanics, good ones, run thru there and out of all the stuff we had they always went with:

1. Mobil 1 oils
2. SeaFoam
3. Lucas oil addiives and grease
4. PB Blaster for stubborn bolts
5. CRC Cleaning products (brake cleaner, TB cleaner, etc..)
6. Some guys loved Valvoline oils and most of them used the High Mileage stuff.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:02 PM

You know whats funny (well with me anyways...) I agree with that whole list though the time I tried Mobile 1 synthetic I changed the oil @ 3,200miles and it looked blacker than **** for me (idk if it cleaned the inside well or what)... Ill only use castrol HD30 or valvoline seeing as the local napa runs out of either or and they always come out nice n clean @3k miles.

Quick Reply: Injector Cleaner