Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Inner handle broke off

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 05:17 PM
Default Inner handle broke off

Hey, anyone know if they sell these at local parts store or is it a junkyard part? Inner door handle broke off in my hand.

98 Silverado

Name:  handle.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  71.0 KB

Old 12-12-2008, 05:26 PM
Default RE: Inner handle broke off

They sell them at both, the parts store and at junk yards. It's kinda a pain to change out though. You have to have the window all the way up and then you have to reach behind the handle to unhook the arms. You will see once you get to it.

Have fun!

Old 12-12-2008, 05:31 PM

Thanks, glad I can pick one up easily. Already experienced the hard part - had to pull door panel, and like you said the window HAS to be up. Only took 15 minutes or so to pull it off then another 5 or so to put it back together. The trick - I think - will be reattaching the rod from inside

Thanks again!!!

Old 12-12-2008, 05:41 PM

Hey FYI - this part is stocked at Pep Boys for $24- a bit pricy I think. Maybe someone's got one lying around.

BTW, is it connected to the rod w/clips or is it riveted - I didn't look that closely when I had the door panel off...

Old 12-13-2008, 10:05 AM

go to this website and enter you make, year and model. http://car-part.com/

Old 12-13-2008, 10:37 AM

Thanks seb37 - I'm sure I'll be visiting that site for all kinds of parts - girlfriend also has 99 Grand Am

Old 02-24-2009, 08:22 PM

Hey all - I haven't been on here for awhile but I finally got this thing fixed. Got tired of having to roll down window, open the door from the outside, leave the truck running while I rolled the window back up, etc. Gets pretty irritating when I shut the truck off and forget to open the door. Gotta start all over again

Anyway, $17.99 at Pep Boys and I'm back in biz. The replacement seems even more cheaply made (if you can imagine) than the original. But it snaps right together. I went to our local flea market and happened to see an OEM kit on some guy's table - I asked him what he wanted for it and he gave me a dopey, "Um, that's like, about $100..."

And I DO mean DOPEy...

Cheers, all!

Old 02-25-2009, 11:56 AM

Good to hear it!

Old 02-26-2009, 10:23 PM

i just did a handle not long ago it wasn't too bad at all just a little time consuming. make sure not to break the pocket cover when removing it to put your door panel back on.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:33 PM

I hear ya. The door pocket survived but most of the door panel pins were busted off LONG ago by previous owner(s). It's held on by the 2 screws in the door pull (the screwheads are fairly stripped, too...) and but a few intact pins. The bottom half is hanging off and rattles but that's a whole 'nuther project

Quick Reply: Inner handle broke off