Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

iPod Problems on new 2010 Sierra

Old 06-06-2011, 04:59 AM
Default iPod Problems on new 2010 Sierra

Okay, so I'm having a great time getting to know my new ride and the factory Bose/Navigation/Radio with the USB port in the console. So far everything works great except when I try to listen to my iPod or iPhone through the USB port. Not every time, but most times I get some popping/static type noise from the speakers while music is playing. It's most noticable during quiet songs. It reminds me of the sound CDs make when they are scratched.

So my troubleshooting has been this: Tried my iPhone instead of the iPod touch, no change. Tried a different cable, no change. Tried a USB drive thinking maybe it's the USB connection, but that works fine, no static at all, but the navigation of the USB drive is much more cumbersome than the iPod.

All the iPhone controls work great otherwise, I'm guessing this is a software glitch somewhere since the USB works, but I thought I'd see what I could find online before I take it to the dealer who I'm afraid will either blow it off as a minor problem, or just start replacing random parts.

Side note: I'm surprised at the very limited EQ settings on a 'premium' radio. High/Mid/Low controls and that's it? No factory presets? Maybe I'm missing something. It'd be nice to have a little more fine tuning on something with a Bose badge on it (I know audiophiles can't stand Bose- but still...) It's the unit WITHOUT DVD, but does have XM, Navigation, touch screen, etc. If I can get the iPod to work, however, I can use the EQ settings on it to fine tune things.

Otherwise I'm thrilled with the new ride!

Old 06-12-2011, 04:38 PM

anybody? Dealership said try MP3s on the ipod, no luck. I guess I'm going to have to drop it off.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:19 PM

i actually got lucky and got to drive one of these for a few months but yeah some had that problem i dont know what caused it but it was a bad connection somwhere

Old 06-27-2011, 06:33 PM

I'll post the answer in case anyone comes across this in the future. It's a known problem with the factory unit. There is a firmware update to fix it. Some units can be updated via the USB drive after the dealer downloads the firmware. My unit has to updated by a physical disc which they had to order, but it's supposed to fix this specific problem. Fingers crossed.