Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Just got my first truck.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 02:05 PM
Beginner
Default Just got my first truck.

Well I just bought my first truck, it's a 1997 GMC Sierra. I only paid $300 for it (Has been in my family for about two years). It needs work, but it runs drives, and has four wheel drive.

I was wondering how big of tires I can put on it without a lift because it needs tires, BAD. The rims are stock. I would like to have a wide stance. Is it possible to buy tires ONLY to get a little bit wider stance?

Also I noticed it has some Rancho shocks, which I hate. They seem to sag a little bit, will new ones prop it up a little bit?

One more thing. The person that originally owned thing was an older man, Chuck, He was my my mother's ex-boyfriend and died in December due to cancer. Even though they couldn't make it as a couple he was still be a big part in my family's life and always well liked. I was really hoping to build this truck from the frame up. I know that it won't be cost effective but that isn't the point. What do I need to check for to make sure it shouldn't just go to the junkyard?

Last edited by CaptanMacTavish; 05-11-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:53 AM

Congratulations on getting your first truck! You have now started on a great learning adventure.

There are many options for tires and several websites to help you pick one. Trouble is, when you stray from the standard sizes, things can get expensive fast. The biggest standard size for your truck, if it's a 1500, is P265/75R16. What size tires do you now have?

Shocks normally only dampen the travel of the sprung weight (body) of the truck and don't hold the sprung weight any higher. But, certain features like selectable ride and certain shocks like ones with an overload spring or air inflation will hold the truck up some. So, if you just get normal shocks, you won't gain any height. You could check out the options, but you may be better off to just make sure your shocks are functioning properly and if not get OE new ones. You might measure what your body height is, compare to a truck that you know is OK, and see if the springs are really a little weak?

Having good memories of the previous owner is a good thing. Maybe the best thing you can do to honor that is to do all you can to learn how the truck "should work" and try to keep it working that way. Spend time with the owner's manual and make sure all the basic maintenance is taken care of. Good Luck!

Gerald

Old 05-12-2012, 11:37 AM
Beginner

Originally Posted by glterpening
Congratulations on getting your first truck! You have now started on a great learning adventure.

There are many options for tires and several websites to help you pick one. Trouble is, when you stray from the standard sizes, things can get expensive fast. The biggest standard size for your truck, if it's a 1500, is P265/75R16. What size tires do you now have?

Shocks normally only dampen the travel of the sprung weight (body) of the truck and don't hold the sprung weight any higher. But, certain features like selectable ride and certain shocks like ones with an overload spring or air inflation will hold the truck up some. So, if you just get normal shocks, you won't gain any height. You could check out the options, but you may be better off to just make sure your shocks are functioning properly and if not get OE new ones. You might measure what your body height is, compare to a truck that you know is OK, and see if the springs are really a little weak?

Having good memories of the previous owner is a good thing. Maybe the best thing you can do to honor that is to do all you can to learn how the truck "should work" and try to keep it working that way. Spend time with the owner's manual and make sure all the basic maintenance is taken care of. Good Luck!

Gerald
It's a 1500 and currently has 235/75/15. Which I'm pretty sure the stock size is 245/75/15. Will the 265's rub at all? And will they through my spedo off?

I have HUGE plans for this truck but for right now I just need to get everything working properly and get it so it will take a sticker. Which shouldn't take too much work.

I use about a pint or so of power steering fluid DAILY. How should I go about fixing this? I know that I need to find the leak first but this is my first truck and I'm just starting out..

Last edited by CaptanMacTavish; 05-12-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:45 PM
Beginner

Originally Posted by CaptanMacTavish
It's a 1500 and currently has 235/75/15. Which I'm pretty sure the stock size is 245/75/15. Will the 265's rub at all? And will they through my spedo off?

Assuming your stock tires were 245/75/15, if you went to 265/75/15 tires, your speedometer would be out of adjustment, but not by much:

If your speedo was reading 30 mph your actual speed would be 31.2 mph,
If your speedo was reading 45 mph your actual speed would be 46.8 mph,
If your speedo was reading 55 mph your actual speed would be 57.2 mph,
If your speedo was reading 65 mph your actual speed would be 67.6 mph.

Here's the tool to help you out...

Tire Size Calculator - Compare Tire Sizes

Old 05-12-2012, 08:32 PM

What does the door sticker and your owner's manual say about tire sizes on your truck? Many 1997 GMC models came with 16" wheels. For those, there were 3 sizes and the P265/75R16 was the widest option. You can google some tire sellers and see what is offered for your truck. Here is a site that will explain the tire size label info: How to read a tire sidewall

Using the tire size info, you can find out what the overall tire height will be and that will tell you how your speedo will be affected.

On the power steering, yes, you need to find where the leak is. When you find what is leaking, then you can google some questions about that and will be able to get info on what to do. For example, if it is the power steering pump, google "power steering pump leak 1997 GMC 4wd". The 'net will be your friend in all kinds of problem solutions. You can even add the word "youtube" to your search and you might even get a movie you can watch where someone is doing exactly what you need to do! If your searches fail, then that is the time to come to a site like this and ask for help...most of the time you will find what you need by googling.

You might consider buying a Haines manual for your truck. It will not be as complete as you would want it to be, but for not a lot of money, you will find it very helpful.

It sounds like you are getting off to a good start. Keep good records and approach what you do systematically...know why you are taking the next step. Guessing is expensive and a poor teacher! Hang in there.

Gerald

Old 05-13-2012, 01:40 PM
Beginner

Should I bother getting my spedo recalculated? And the stock tires are 245, and wheels are 16". Thanks a lot. Will be posting pictures at some point.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:11 PM
Beginner

Your speedometer reading would be out by less than 4%. Your truck probably has rear ABS brakes which would be very slightly effected by the increase in size, but probably nothing too noticable. I probably wouldn't bother with any electronic adjustments myself, but that'll have to be your call.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:09 AM
Beginner

Well I've decided to scratch everything for the tires and just buy new tires and rims (Once I get the money). I want a wide stance, what should I get?

Old 05-16-2012, 04:34 PM
Ford and Dodge Truck Forum Moderator

congrats on the new truck!! post up some pics so we can see it

Old 05-18-2012, 08:34 PM
Beginner

There she isss. My 97'

Attached Thumbnails Just got my first truck.-bde8e2fae507_2f3adb0e-93b4-40a1-829e-d214ff820ed4.jpg  

Quick Reply: Just got my first truck.