Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N Direct replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 02:23 PM
Default K&N Direct replacement

My wife suprised me when I walked in the door last night w/ a direct replacement K&N filter ..she heard me talking about K&N and didn't realize I was talking about the FIPK ... so I installed in anyway. What a difference!

I was never able to make the tires chirp when I punched at from a complete stop, but now I'm chirping them if I punch it when I'm coasting at about 5 mph.

I guess I'll be swiss-cheesing my stock box this weekend to see how much of a difference that makes.

A few questions about swiss cheesing the air box ...

1)How much do I cut out?

2)Should I start cutting about 1" below where the top of the casing and the bottom meet?

3) I live in California ...will cutting a hole in the air box make me fail the visual inspection for smog?

Thanks!

Old 07-26-2007, 11:01 AM
Default RE: K&N Direct replacement

I don't know if the swiss cheese thing would be best. I used to do it on my quads, but for a truck I have a better idea for you. Try removing the air duct to the left of the airbox. Its clips on if I remember correctly. There might be one screw. This air duct reduces to a much smaller diameter then the hole on the side of the box. I removed it leaving a nice big void for air to get in. Plus it is directly across from the MAF sensor. (Straight shot into the intake tube) Not only will you have some more mid-range power, it also makes a sweet muscle car sound when you punch the gas. Try it before swiss cheesing it, it might be all you need.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:02 PM
TruckForum Addict

Actually if you read MrLM7's initial post on this mod you were not supposed to swiss cheese it. That is something someone else decided to do. I did exactly what he said which is in the Ultimate Free Mods List. Try doing a search for it. Basically you had the right idea. Just below where the airfilter sits there is a smooth part all the way across the airbox front(facing the headlight). I took a hacksaw and just sawed two lines about an inch apart from one end of the front of the air box to the other end and then broke the pieces out(carefully). The plastic is hard but easily broken so I would be very delicate and ginger with it. I had amazing gains both in power and gas mileage!

Old 07-26-2007, 03:25 PM

Don't suppose you want to take a picture of it and share with the group. Before I make holes in the box, I'd like an illustration if possible

Old 07-26-2007, 03:58 PM
TruckForum Addict

If I had a digital camera I'd love to bro. Unfortunately I am in the lower income bracket. LOL, several guys on here have tried it, try sending MrLM7 a private message and see if he has taken a picture of his or knows someone else on here that has done it and has taken a picture.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:22 PM

hey southbay the k&n she got you was it the replacement filter for the box or the direct ones that cost 200 bucks.. i have been thinking about getting one of those. but the other is chaeper if it will work too...bill

Old 07-26-2007, 09:48 PM

Thanks guys ...

I didn't realize that swiss cheesing was different than what was listed on the free mod posting ..I R a Newb. I was talking about the one listed on the free horsepower mod posting. A picture of the completed project would be helpful for me as well ...

Archerynut: I wish it was the $200+ one ...but it was the $50-$55 one.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:05 PM

Southbay - you may want to look at what me and hunt4game have done as well since you have the same truck. This may help your decisions and we can shot ideas off each other.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:20 PM
TruckForum Addict

What are you talking about smoke20 i have not done a thing to my truck it's stock

Old 07-26-2007, 10:57 PM
TruckForum Addict

*scanning signature* oh... wow Chevy is really putting a lot of effort into their trucks these days.

Quick Reply: K&N Direct replacement