Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Leaking Coolant After Shutting Off

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 07:03 PM
Default Leaking Coolant After Shutting Off

I have a 2000 Chevy 2500 4x4 5.7l. It is the work truck version so it is the 88-98 body style. It has 71k miles on it.

The truck is leaking coolant aftet and only after i shut it off. it doesnt leak or overheat while driving, as long as there is coolant in it. It is leaking out the side of the water pump from a small hole. I would say it is the seep hole but it looks like the seep hole is on top of the water pump.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by SmallFeesh
I have a 2000 Chevy 2500 4x4 5.7l. It is the work truck version so it is the 88-98 body style. It has 71k miles on it.

The truck is leaking coolant aftet and only after i shut it off. it doesnt leak or overheat while driving, as long as there is coolant in it. It is leaking out the side of the water pump from a small hole. I would say it is the seep hole but it looks like the seep hole is on top of the water pump.
The pressure can build at shut down and it appears as though you are going to be the proud owner of a new waterpump as this is the classic indicator.
I suggest changing sooner than later, this is my non-professional opinion and is worth exactly what I'm being paid for it, LOL.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:26 PM

A seal protects the water pump impeller shaft bearing from contamination by engine coolant. If this seal fails, the weep hole in the pump snout will leak coolant. If this is the case, shaft bearing failure will follow. You should probably replace the water pump as soon as possible. But like above stated, this info is worth what I am getting paid also! Happy hunting! Also, is there a high pitched squealing sound from your belt or water pump during operation? This could also indicate failure.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:39 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

The water pump impeller seal is bad......replace it.....and most water pumps have a seep hole on top and bottom

Old 08-09-2010, 10:42 PM
TruckForum Addict

New water pump. Change it soon... no need to burn up a motor. My 90 model did the same thing.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:49 PM

i got the water pump but now i cant get the fan off. does the spanner wrench the book says to use really work that good? I cant get the fan assembly to stay so i can get the nut loose.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:01 PM
TruckForum Addict

Did you take the belt off? If so put it back on. Have a friend hold the belt tight and hit the wrench in the opposite direction the fan spins. It will not look like it is loosening, but when it does you will know it.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:21 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

yeah that design is kind of a PITA i had to heat mine up to get it off.....then I went to electrics and left it off

Old 08-10-2010, 11:49 PM
TruckForum Addict

Electrics are going on mine next too, but until then I will keep my mechanical fan. I just hope I do not have to remove my fan again. I removed it to instal my underdrive crank pulley.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:34 AM

I only had myself so i ended up tie strapping the pulley to the fender well with some rubber hose over the strap. couple of hits with the dead blow and it loosened right up! Then I had a problem keeping the gaskets in place while trying to get the water pump in. Eventually the silicone dried up and i had to get new gaskets. and a can of spray glue. A buddy of mine is a heavy equip. mech. spray glue the gaskets to the water pump with silicone on the block. Worked perfect!

Quick Reply: Leaking Coolant After Shutting Off