Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Leaking Transmission. ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 06:00 PM
Default Leaking Transmission. ??

Hi guys, I'm new to this, but I have a question. I have 1998 Chevy Silverado and I think the transmission is leaking... or something is. When I moved the truck, it sounded like the drive shaft was grinding and was about to fall out. So I parked it and looked underneath, the transmission was oily/greasy looking. I contacted my ex boyfriend who drove it last, and he said that he drove it about 15 miles knowing that a bolt was missing from the drive shaft. Also, it will not engage in park, or 1st and 2nd gears. I was told that I need to get a new "Linkage cable". The transmission was replaced, and I am wondering if it was put in wrong... if that is possible. I am trying to get info on it so I can tell the mechanic what is going on with when I have it towed to the shop. Thanks

Old 04-02-2011, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the forum... You may NOT need any linkages.. If it's not reaching PARK...Because it is a 1998, you may have to repair your cab mounts. (maybe wearing out and sinking)
When your cab starts to sick backwards it will cause your shifter linkage to go out of wack.

Questions:
Was the tranni replaced recently?
Approx how many miles on this tranni.
Have you check your transmission fluid. (truck idling, Truck in PARK) check dip stick.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:09 PM

Hi, thanks for the advice. The transmission was replaced two years ago, but we didn't drive it much, cause my ex-boyfriend said the transmission was not replaced properly... I am not sure how many miles are on the transmission. I have checked the transmission fluid, and it read full, but then again, it could be wrong if it will not engage in PARK. I am wondering how it could read full if it is leaking, or is it leaking something else? Cause as I said in the first thread, my ex said he drove it about 15 miles knowing that a bolt was missing from the drive shaft. I am not sure how he knew this. But when I looked under the truck, I could see where the drive shaft might have been rubbing the bed of the truck.

Questions:
How can I tell if the cab mounts or sinking?
Where do I find them to check?

Thank you for replying
Amintabrittany

Old 04-03-2011, 04:29 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Usually the culprit for not going in park is the shift cable on the drivers side of the transmission. It should be fairly obvious that the housing is damaged when looking down there. If your fluid is at the proper level than you don't have a leak (unless someone over filled it). Do you see drip marks under the truck? Keep an eye on it. If someone drove the truck with a bolt out of the driveshaft be happy they are your "EX" - that isn't real smart! Good luck!

Old 04-03-2011, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mr_Shamrock
Usually the culprit for not going in park is the shift cable on the drivers side of the transmission. It should be fairly obvious that the housing is damaged when looking down there. If your fluid is at the proper level than you don't have a leak (unless someone over filled it). Do you see drip marks under the truck? Keep an eye on it. If someone drove the truck with a bolt out of the driveshaft be happy they are your "EX" - that isn't real smart! Good luck!
Hi, thank you for you advice. If the truck is not in PARK, can I get an accurate reading of the dip stick for the fluid? If not, how would I be able to determine if it is the transmission that is leaking and could driving the truck with a bolt missing cause some kind of leaking? What type of damage could it have caused? Thank you again for replying.

Amintabrittany

Old 04-03-2011, 05:57 PM
Administrator

If there is a bolt still missing from the drive shaft. Don't drive it any more until it is replaced. The universal joint (bearing) can work itself loose. Resulting in dropping the drive shaft onto the road.
If the transmission is leaking? It will be a pink or red colored oil. Transmissions only has the one oil in it (it's called "transmission fluid")
If the leaking oil you find is black? That will be motor oil.

You said when you moved the truck. It sounded like it was GRINDING and that it seemed like the drive shaft was gonna fall out.

I was wondering if the drive shaft was touching the exhaust. I can't imagine the drive shaft reaching the bed of the truck.

An easy way to tell if your cab mounts are done, your body lines don't line up. If it has pin stripes they won't line up either. Sorry but that doesn't matter. apparently it has a shifter cable, not shifter linkages.
Keep us updated

Old 04-03-2011, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by In2Trux
If there is a bolt still missing from the drive shaft. Don't drive it any more until it is replaced. The universal joint (bearing) can work itself loose. Resulting in dropping the drive shaft onto the road.
If the transmission is leaking? It will be a pink or red colored oil. Transmissions only has the one oil in it (it's called "transmission fluid")
If the leaking oil you find is black? That will be motor oil.

You said when you moved the truck. It sounded like it was GRINDING and that it seemed like the drive shaft was gonna fall out.

I was wondering if the drive shaft was touching the exhaust. I can't imagine the drive shaft reaching the bed of the truck.

An easy way to tell if your cab mounts are done, your body lines don't line up. If it has pin stripes they won't line up either. Sorry but that doesn't matter. apparently it has a shifter cable, not shifter linkages.
Keep us updated
Well, I think my ex replaced the bolt (not sure, he worked at a mechanic shop as a mechanic LOL but apparently not a good one) but on the transmission and the oil pan itself, has black grimy gunk on it. When I touched the liquid that I saw on the transmission it was red and thin, like transmission fluid... but what is the black grimy gunk that is on it? Does transmission fluid turn that color after a while?

As for the drive shaft, I saw a spot where it looked like it had been rubbed ( a black line about an inch wide) near the front of the drive shaft. Is it possible that when my ex drove the truck that it warped the drive shaft? It doesn't look bowed or anything. I will try to post pics of the transmission to give you guys an idea of what I am dealing with. Thanks for repying

Amintabrittany

Old 04-03-2011, 09:35 PM
Administrator

Personally, I would get under there with some fastball, Mineral spirits, lacquer thinner, or some other type of grime cleaner and get that tranny and pan sparkling- that way you can tell if it's actually leaking. I don't know about the other stuff though

We've always had problems with our tranny pan bolts working themselves loose over time or the rear transmission seal on that model truck, but I can't remember the torque specs for the life of me. You may want to go ahead and retorque them anyways just to be safe if you can find the specs. I would lean more towards the rear seal though because they tend to go bad anyways and excessive vibration would speed up the process.

BTW, is it 2wd or 4x4?

Old 04-04-2011, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by GMCSierraFan
Personally, I would get under there with some fastball, Mineral spirits, lacquer thinner, or some other type of grime cleaner and get that tranny and pan sparkling- that way you can tell if it's actually leaking. I don't know about the other stuff though

We've always had problems with our tranny pan bolts working themselves loose over time or the rear transmission seal on that model truck, but I can't remember the torque specs for the life of me. You may want to go ahead and retorque them anyways just to be safe if you can find the specs. I would lean more towards the rear seal though because they tend to go bad anyways and excessive vibration would speed up the process.

BTW, is it 2wd or 4x4?
Thank you for the advice for cleaning the tranny... it will help the situation a lot. It is 4x4...