Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Leveling your truck.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 08:50 PM
Question Leveling your truck.

I'm a new guy... So I'm sure this has been brought up many times. I just bought a worn 2000 GMC Sierra Z-71. On ebay I see all sorts of 1"-3" Adjustable Torsion keys Lift Kit's. The "pro's" say 2.5" lift max..."A few questions, do they work? I know the Z-71 has a 2" block on the rear leaf's, so, is the front already lifted? Has anyone had good results with these?
The truck has 233,000 on it and it is all original, nothing has been done to this truck, so I know shocks, bearings, seals and a few other needs will be done.
Thanks.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:29 PM
TruckForum Addict

The thing with torsion bar lifts is it throws your CV axle angles and ball joint angles all out of whack. Does a torsion bar key really change the amount of lift you get? No not really. If you think about it, if you crank the tosion bar key all the way with the factory key, you're basically just maxing out the suspension. That's effectively what a torsion bar key does, but it will max out the suspension with the preload bolt turned in less, because the key leverages the torsion bar more significantly than the factory key.

So ... just crank on the factory torsion keys and save yourself some cash and agony. If you want a cheap lift, do a body lift.

If it were me, I wouldn't do any kind of torsion bar trickery with a truck with that many miles, only because you'll only hurt ride quality. You'll get the front to set higher, but I'm a bit of a lift snob I guess ... I'd say get a legit 4-6" lift from rough country, or don't mess with it. My problem is I messed with the torsion keys on my '96 silverado, and while I got it to set level, any time I loaded the rear end, the weak springs on a 200K mile truck just sagged so badly it looked silly.

So, I say go big or go home basically lol sorry to come off as harsh, but either lift it right or don't lift it. I don't see doing a torsion bar lift helps anything. Do a body lift, or get a legitimate suspension lift.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:16 PM

Thanks for the reply. That's kind of what I thought, I just wanted some confirmation. Buyer beware...You get what you pay for. A rule of life. Just doing some basic rebuilding should get my front end up an inch or so...LOL
I really like this truck, so I'm just going to work on the mechanics of it and get some stuff right... LIKE THE A.C. It is a big black truck after all. Thanks again!

Old 07-07-2015, 11:28 PM

I have a larger tire size on mine and the raise look it created was enough for me. I adjusted the torsion keys enough to keep the ride height even side to side. I think it sits perfect. I have seen people raise the bars to high and end up with a harsh ride.

After adjusting ride height, the toe setting will be out so an alignment will be required.
If you have access to a tech2 scan tool or high end scanner you can go into the ebcm and change the tire size settings so the speedometer reads correctly.

Attached Thumbnails Leveling your truck.-100_0939.jpg  
Old 07-07-2015, 11:34 PM

yeah, I kept the $300 for the leveling kit in my pocket.

lets have the a/c questions!

Last edited by primem; 07-07-2015 at 11:36 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:35 PM

Thanks. I was hearing to not turn them over 2"lift as it would be too tweakish on the bars.
Thanks for the reply.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:45 PM

Yes, primem...I agree. that AC is down on the bottom of the motor. On ebay I see COMPLETE A/C REPAIR KIT WITH NEW COMPRESSOR & CLUTCH FOR CHEVY SILVERADO GMC basic rebuild kits for around $195, it might be a place to start as this AC hasn't worked in years. Anyway, this is all going to take years to do, probably my lifetime.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:23 AM
TruckForum Addict

So .. does it need a compressor or did the refrigerant leak out?

Old 07-08-2015, 12:38 PM
Default Long way to go...

Originally Posted by NullHead
So .. does it need a compressor or did the refrigerant leak out?
I don't really know. She (the original owner) said she had it charged, but I really cant believe anything she tells me... unfortunately. It's well worn, I turned it on for a few seconds going down the road the other day and the next day I noticed that the AC belt had broke. Frozen compressor? I'm a good shade-tree mech, just not too hip on AC work. Thanks for you're reply.

Also, someone had pulled the fuses to the AC, I replaced them with no positive results. I asked why they were pulled and all I got was a "I don't know" with a shrug of the shoulders. I assume it was someone else's trouble shooting.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:10 PM

spin the a/c tensioner and make sure its not worn, noisy or seized. turn the compressor by hand and spin the pulley. the compressor should have some compression resistance and the pulley should spin freely. If its good, replace the belt and see if the compressor cycles on. if no... check the refrigerant level.

junk yard part the major parts of a/c system the whole way. there are tons of these trucks in the bone yard. anything from 1999 to 2006 should fit

Quick Reply: Leveling your truck.