Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift/tires/truck question's

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 01:23 PM

OK. What year F-150 did you get? That will let us know what we can tell you. As far as the rust, well there are many ways to do it, it all depends on how bad it is. Is it all the way through the skin? Or just surface rust. Is it through the fender well? Is it on the sides of the bed too? Is there rust under the floor in the cab? Is there rust under the cab by the rocker panels?

I could go on and on.

They sell the frame hiding kits, I have seen them before. If you decide that you are going with a body lift and want to relocate the bumpers and hide the frame, I will help you find what you are looking for.

Let me know what you are looking at.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:50 AM

It's a 1993 F150 4x4 ext cab long bed. There's rust on the wheel wells (Minor rust, barely chipped) and there is rust by where the running boards are, but that rust is quite a bit worst. It is all the way through barely on one side for about an inch and the rest is just rusted minor. I will try and get some pictures of it later.

When adding a body lift to a 1993 F150 4x4 ext cab long bed what all do you have to get besides the lift itself as far as parts go? What is some good brand lifts? I will do more research, but I figured it would be easiest to have you guys help out. (I'm getting a 3 in body lift)

Thanks, Tyler.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:51 AM

Tyler, As far as the rust goes, well you will have to either fabricate new panels and floor pans for the area thay needs the holes fixed, or buy replacement panels and then fit them onto the area that you need. (if it is the rocker panel or really complex piece and you don't have a metal fab shop at your disposal than go with buying the parts from a place like LMC or JC Whitney)
If there is no holes in the panels than you should be able to just kill the rust, sand it smooth, and then paint. Here is another option that is becoming more popular. If you dont have holes and want the rust to stop and also don't really care how it looks (not painted), you may also try and put a roll on bed liner material as paint in those rusted areas. I have seen people use it on the floor boards, on the kick panels, the rocker panels, on the bottom 3-5" of the body and even the entire vehicle.
If you choose to do this, it will stop the rust, water proof the area and will help with sound deadening. But you also need to do the bottom of the rust ares that are rusted through after you patch the areas.
If you don't choose to use the roll on bed liner, then you should use a rust inhibiting under coat before paint to stop it from getting any worse. After that, you should be able to paint it any color that you want and finish the areas.

It all depends on who you get the lift kit from and what it comes with. If it comes with the bumper relocation brakets than that is cool. (I would try and get one with the bumper kit)

Also if it comes with longer brake lines than that is cool too. (You may not need to have longer ones, but you don't want extend the brake lines anywhere near full length, they will break really easy and then you have no brakes)

I would get the frame hiders because you are going with the 3" lift and it will look really dorky if you don't. (you should be able to fit a 33"x12.50" tire or 34"x11" tire under that lift without having to trim fenders)

Is there anything that I missed or any other questions?