Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Lifting an 07 Classic. All sorts of confused

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 09:48 PM
Default Lifting an 07 Classic. All sorts of confused

Hey guys, I am in the process of buying a 07 Silverado Classic (older body style), and the first thing i do will be a small lift. Anywhere from 3-5 inches is what im going for. Seen some things about the rough country lift and it looks like its well within my price range. Here are my questions.

1) first and foremost... when i look at lifts... do i need to be putting something else in the drop-downs other than 07 silverado? Mine will be the classic... and i do not know whether there is a difference in the suspension. Will any 07 4x4 kit work? Do i need to be searching under the suspension for the 99-06?

2) has anyone ever tried lifting the truck by installing Coilspring.com coil lifts? I used to have an explorer and i know a lot of the folks there used coilspring.com lifts... They make custom sets of springs that lift the truck up to 3". Many of the guys reported that rides weren't really noticably different.

3) The combo kit (3.5 suspension, 1.25 inch body lift) looks interesting... any major problems with the body lift?

Thanks so much for the help in advance.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:27 PM
TruckForum Addict
body lifts will allow for bigger tires
suspension lift will allow for bigger tires and more axle flex
personaly i would go with suspension if ya got the money and i would suggest pro com lifts
rough country lifts are as the name says very rough and stiff when on a trail or mud thats the experiance i have had with them and my opinion but others opinions may very
as far as the info on what year for the truck to search under i am not sure of that call your local suspension shops and ask them if they give you the run around then call the website that you are looking at normaly they will know
and again a body lift does really nothing but allow for bigger tires
and the axle articulaion and flex will be like stock you may get a little mor but not much as you will still hit your bumpstops on th axle and your tires will rub
let us know what you go with and post pictures

Old 05-20-2011, 04:38 PM

If you have the older body style like mine, you have torsion bars up front no coils.the new body style is coil over.
In my opinion a body lift just shows off more of your frame, you extend every linkage and wiring harness, master-cylinder lines, brake lines etc. etc... cheap but more work.
there is a leveling kit (replacing torsion keys) give you a couple inches upfront cheap, you will be spending $1200 and up for a decent suspension lift skyjacker makes a 3 inch kit and up, rancho makes a 4" kit, rough country, pro comp. too expensive for me thats why I don't have one yet, spent the money on toys instead. I went with the leveling kit a few people were surprised I didnt have a suspension lift. Ive been searching for 10 years for something under a thousand. If you have the money just go 6" with 35" tires. not too tall not too low. just right.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:52 PM
TruckForum Addict

yes if you have the money go with 6 inches of suspension lift and 35s
but dont be one of them guys out there that jack there trucks way up and put huge 26 inch rims on there that are all chromed out if your gonna do it go with something that isnt to flashy and says hey look at me i see people in iowa all the time that have nice trucks with 12 or more inches of lift they put big ole 30 inch chrome rapstar rims on them and put low pros on it jsut makes me sick thats my personal opion but its your truck
also if you will be doing alot of offroading i would look into true beadlock rims not them regular rims as beadlocks can practiacly blow a tire and you can still drive on them as they wont come off the rim

Old 05-22-2011, 09:32 PM

bead locks are illegal in most states if not all. unless you have a set a wheels for off roading only. call me crazy but i dont want a bunch of holes in the bead of my tire driving 70 down the interstate.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:36 PM
TruckForum Addict

opps my bad i did forget that i was over seas for a couple years and came back and so much has changed
lol anyway what size and type of rims are you thinking about going with