Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A list of issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 03:00 PM
Default A list of issues

I got a list of problems with my Silverado, but due to work stress etc.... I never took the time to write them out, well here they all are.

Electrical reverse lights work about half the time and half that time they come on and off and on and off, half the speakers will not work or work quiter, factory stereo will not turn on every once in a blue moon. Instrument lights will seem very dim every now and again.

Suspension I'm dead certain my truck is leaning to the left but noo one including Les Swab could see it or why, that was after an hour of them looking prior to my rims and lowering in 2005.

Engine, doesn't fire up as easily as it used too period, will occasionally 2 sec's to catch and fire. Will idle rough enough at times it feels like a good wind is blowing on my truck or someone shaking it a little. RPM's don't vary while it going on either, it sometimes feel like the RPM drop off hard during idle but no RPM change. It seems it's harder to manage systems now that turn on or off without a noticable diffrence in idle. My low coolant light keeps comming on but I don't have low coolant. The instructions and DTC pages for my programmer were lost in Hurricane rita so I can't diagnose.

My clutch has somehow managed to survive 5 years of abuse but will die pretty soon. It's pretty loose now at slow speeds or coasting it will get VERY jerky in 2nd or 4th.

Parking break also broke and almost killed me, pissing me off no lawyer will take the case even though it turns out it's a factory defect that I got no notice of.

Either way I still love my truck but don't have the money or time for this ****!

Old 11-23-2007, 07:29 PM
Default RE: A list of issues

Anyone have any helpful ideas? I'm thinking about getting a friend to ride along with me and shoot some video, that should help explain things better.

Old 11-24-2007, 04:25 PM

Not sure about the rest...will have to reread and give some thought...but it sounds as if your reverse switch on the tranny needs cleaned. Did this on my Volkswagen...took about 3-4 minutes to clean and then they worked fine.

Old 11-24-2007, 05:05 PM

Cool any problem knocked out is a step foward, my basic problem is no tools for auto use and living in an apartment. I'll more than likley have to get anything that requires a good amount of tools into a shop though. The upside with that is I know a place where the owner likes my truck can't beat $35.00 for an oil change and fuel filter change

Old 11-25-2007, 08:29 AM

Should not require more than popping some clips or pulling a tie down bolt (metric...10 or 12mm) off the drivers side of tranny. Should be right around rear of bell housing near linkage setup. Unplug this, check for corrosion, clean contacts and replace. All there is to it. Make sure you get some contact grease before you start and put it on both connectors. Hopefully this is the problem...sounds like it.

Check your MAF sensor and clean it. Located before your air cleaner. Use a can of carb cleaner...no smoking! Check it out.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...o/3297276.html

These are a few simple...anyone can do it...barely any tools needed jobs. I'll think of some more things you can do before you take it to a garage.