Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

LOCKING GAS CAP BARGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 06:55 AM
Default LOCKING GAS CAP BARGAIN

Greetings Folks, Just stumbled upon a good deal and thought I would pass the info on,especially since Gas theft must be becoming an issue for some with gas prices being what they are. I called my local Chevy dealer Friday and was quoted $36 for a Locking Gas Cap(NO THANKS),I checked a few local parts stores and they were $19-$26,BUT I discovered that our local Advance Autoparts carries the Stant part#11504 Locking Cap for my 2002 Silverado for $10.88. I called Stant and they assured meit is amde of OE grade platic and Stainless Steel.Hope this saves someone else a couple of bucks too.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:34 AM
TruckForum Addict
Default RE: LOCKING GAS CAP BARGAIN

Sounds like a good deal. Thanks. My luck is i would not be able to find my key when i needed to and run out of gas.

Old 01-28-2008, 04:26 PM

hope it keeps the ses lite off

Old 01-28-2008, 06:59 PM

I have a question. My dad and i had the same problem, independantly. When i had my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee, i had the check engine light come on. My buddy @ the local dealership came out, pulled the code, "yep, ya more than likely need a new gas cap", as the code read something about an air leak or something to that affect. So i bought an "OEM" gas cap, put it on, they cleared the code, and the CE light never came back on. about 6 mos. ago, my dad had the CE light come on in his 2001 Chevy Blazer. He too took it to the same dealer, they pulled the code, same thing, "Ya need a new gas cap", so my dad being on a fixed income, wants to save a few bucks, and went to the local NAPA autoparts store, bought a gas cap for like $8.00. Put it on, and had the dealership cancel the code. Not too soon after, the CE light comes back on, so the old school fella he is, he decided to, "Dont Laugh too hard now", cover the CE light up with a small piece of Electrical tape, and ran it like that until this month, when he had to inspect his Blazer, so he broke down and bought an OEM gas cap, put it on, had the dealership cancel out the code, so he could get his Blazer inspected, and the CE light HAS NOT come back on since. WHY? Are the OEM gas caps that much different than any others. My dad hated to pay i think it was like $21.00 for an OEM cap. Tell me why, or how the computer recognizes an OEM cap as compared to 1 from an Auto parts store. Thanx, Jim

Old 01-28-2008, 07:26 PM
TruckForum Addict

Sounds to me its because the cheap ones are not sealing right and the oem ones are. Kinda like argon said about this locking one.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:56 PM

IMO, the chrome ones are ugly.
and im pretty sure our trucks have an anti-siphoning thing built in so that gas cant be stolen. Thats why the gas pump cuts off when your pumping it, cause it senses pressure against the little stopper down in there.

^ I think.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:23 AM

ya get what ya pay for,i suppose..

the pcm,.thru a purge solenoid,pulls vacuum on the tank to run a leak test.if she holds vacuum,all is well.if she does not hold,the lite comes on and a code sets (p0455 usually)...cheap caps don't seal well enough and the lite comes on.

SIDE NOTE...a locking gas cap can be popped loose in about 3 seconds or less with a bent screwdriver or something...some tool that gets under the cap...just shove er counterclockwise

Old 01-29-2008, 11:36 AM

Sounds likes someone is just trying to sell something on here. You would be better off going to a locking fuel door of course they could break into that as well, but at least you wont have to worry about getting a code

Old 01-29-2008, 04:32 PM

Like anything, locks only keep your FRIENDS out, and i can relate to hunt4game, i'd lose the key anyways........... Jim

Old 01-29-2008, 06:42 PM

I can ASSURE everyone that I am in NO WAY associated with or have ANYTHING to profit from anyone buying a Stant Gas cap from Advance Autoparts. I am planning to install one on my truck because I often work the "Graveyard Shift" at our local office park and there has allegedlybeen a few incidents of peolpe finding their gas caps off or missing. Whether they AHOLES were attempting to steal gas or punks contaminating peoples gas, a locking cap just makes it more likely they move on to another vehicle that is easier to deal with, kind of like the whole dogs deterring housebreaks thing,the house next door without the dog id easier. Rest assured boys,my only interest in this(and other) Forums is to pick up info(Hopefully good.accurate) and share any info I have experienced. I must admit I hadn't considered the CHeck Engine Light issue,BUT Advance said if I have ANY problems they will take it back,open blister pack and all.

Quick Reply: LOCKING GAS CAP BARGAIN