Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Long tube or shorties on headers.

Old 05-10-2007, 03:52 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default Long tube or shorties on headers.

Which are better and are the long tubes worth having to go to a exhaust shop to have them put in?

Old 05-10-2007, 04:11 PM
Default RE: Long tube or shorties on headers.

I have always heard of long tube headers working extremely well on the LS-1 F-Body.. Since its basically the same engine I would assume that they would work very well on our trucks... About the install, you can always give her a go with the old mig welder.. I would, just to save the money.. My welds arent exactly pretty all the time, but they work and they are cheap.. Now are you trying to run your headers to your cats or are those out of the question. I know in CA they dont want anybody changing the position of the cat , so we cant get long tubes out here and stay legal.. Kind of a bummer, but it sure is one hell of a beautiful state and I would like to keep it that way. ok.. back on topic.. I think the Long tube headers will give you more power for the buck even if you were to go to a shop and have them do the install.. Make sure you get equal length headers too.. Also a big deal, more bang for the buck.. Good luck, at least your header bolts arent rusted and you gotta drill em out!

Old 05-12-2007, 06:58 PM
TruckForum Addict

Some long tube kits out there have a matching Y-pipe that has the flange that will bolt directly to your cat-back, which means, you won't have to get it done at a shop, you could do it in your driveway.

Old 05-13-2007, 03:13 AM

Long tube kits with a y pipe? How about some shorties with a y pipe to my gibson st exhaust. I need my cats in CA...

Old 05-13-2007, 04:22 PM

shorties are about the same as manifolds, so if the exhaust in proper location should fit right up

Old 05-13-2007, 08:55 PM
TruckForum Addict

Some longtube kits do have Y-pipes with cats on them... Dunno if you have to have the cats in the factory location in CA. or not... You might be able to find a kit with a CARB number...

Old 05-14-2007, 01:04 AM

that would be sweet but I need the cats in the factory position.. I bet you can guess what phrase really burns me up....

"49 State Legal"

Old 05-14-2007, 09:45 AM

you need a friend in another state to take over the ownership of your truck haha

Old 05-14-2007, 11:17 AM
TruckForum Addict

Is that one of those thing kinda like the new gun i just bought says its not legal in california. That must suck to have to follow all the rules.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:54 PM

almost enough to make you wanna move to another state and commute to california

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Long tube or shorties on headers.