Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lookin' for ideas

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 03:08 AM
Default Lookin' for ideas

Hey, gang! I'm new here, so I hope I'm doing this in the right spot. This is sort of my introduction post, as well as a fact finding endeavor. So Hi! My name is Steve, and I'm looking for ideas for sprucing up a truck, so I figured I'd come to a gathering of like minded individuals for suggestions and advice.

I have two Chevy Silverados. One is an '84 and the other is an '87. Both fleetside, both short wheel base. The '84 is my daily driver, but the '87 isn't running, so it's going to be my project truck once I get what I want to do to it figured out. Here is some info on both trucks, just to cover all the bases:

'84 = daily driver, 350 crate motor, turbo 350 transmission, power windows and locks, tilt steering, factory a/c (not functioning), relatively stock.

'87 = blown motor and transmission, power windows and locks, tilt steering, factory a/c (condition unknown).

I don't know much about vehicles, but I'll try to provide whatever information is needed to best answer the questions I have...but I beg your understanding, as I'm quite a layman when it comes to vehicles. What I'm trying to do is continue driving the '84 until I get the '87 fixed up, and then turn the '84 into my project vehicle, so I'm going to focus my questions on the '87 for the most part.

The motor and transmission are blown in the '87, so I am thinking about putting a fuel injected motor out of a newer model truck in it, hopefully to get a little better gas mileage and efficient power out of it, since I have to replace everything anyway. So far, my friends have suggested that I go with a 5.7 (?) liter fuel injected V8 out of a late 90's or later model truck, and what they have referred to as a "Bulletproof transmission". I'm told that has kevlar parts that don't wear out as fast, and should be quite a good transmission for the vehicle. Any thoughts or suggestions on a better way to go, since I have to replace both of them, I'm open to any combination that will provide decent gas mileage, while still providing enough power to be effective when I need it, should I have to pull anything. Also, I'd like something with overdrive, as I intend to travel on the interstates a lot with this one.

The interior isn't in the best shape, so I'm looking into tweaking that a bit, as well. I'm a big guy, so I'm interested in potentially getting custom seats or an aftermarket or custom steering column that will give me more room behind the wheel, while not compromising the steering capabilities. Are there any seats or steering columns from other vehicles that could be swapped out without much alteration? I've been kicking around the idea of trying to find someone to custom build a set of seats. I'd like something that has a center console with a fold-up lid that could be lowered to provide third person seating, should I need it, but I don't have any idea where to go to research the options available for such a thing. Any help along these lines would be appreciated.

I'm not really concerned with keeping the vehicle original, as you may have already guessed, so any head's up on simple customization options for interior and such would be tremendous. I'm interested in changing out the headlights and taillights for more efficient versions, such as maybe led lights or something along those lines. Where should I look for ideas towards that end?

And I'm still kicking around the idea for a paint job on it, but I haven't really come up with anything that just strikes me as the right look for the truck. Are there enthusiast sites where I might find some ideas to help me with my decisions?

Well, I think that about sums up my questions right now. Thanks in advance for any input!

Old 06-17-2011, 09:23 PM
TruckForum Addict
Cool

welcome to the forum
and this is my opinion anyway
the fuel injected engine would be good to do
but there are severl things to do change out the computers change out the wiring harness
lots of work tearing into the dash and pullin the motor plus your gonna wanna have a new radiator something that will hold the pressure alot better then the old one did as i learned a little while ago the hard way i changed a radiator hose and then guess what leak was fixed but radiator blew
also the fuel economy really wont be any different from what your getting know if you plan to turn it into a project truck lifting it will drasticaly reduce gasmilage lowering it may help just a little not much thow
so really its all about if you have plans share them here as we can direct you with answers about products persoanal experiances with products and what not

so more info please
and thanks

again welcome to the forum
there is a forum called newbs check in to properly introduce yourself
but hey thanks for joinin

Old 06-18-2011, 06:22 AM
Administrator

Hi Steve
Welcome to truck forums and our happy little family.

I can help you with your 87.... Just give it to me. That will solve all your 1987 problems. LOL
That is very unusual that the engine AND transmission are blown in the same vehicle.

Find yourself a 5.0L (350) TBI doner truck.
It's a quick and easy way to see how it should go back together if your the one that takes it apart.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:32 AM

Welcome to the forum!