Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy....

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 08:13 PM
Default Looking to buy....

So I'm in the market for a truck. Yes, I've apparently lost my mind buying a fuel-guzzling monstrosity with gas prices the way they are.

Anyway, I'm looking at purchasing a used '01 - '05 Silverado, preferably crew cab, but extended cab at a minimum, 4x4. I plan on hauling a trailer for 2 motorcycles, and my non-Chevy vintage car sometimes (and no, it doesn't run right now, so feel free to make fun of it).

Are there any major things to watch out for when purchasing a used Silverado? Any suggestions? I've actually never owned a GM product, so I'm hoping that I'm making a good decision.

What kind of realistic city gas mileage does everyone get out of the 5.3L? I'm hoping to hear 12-14, not 10. I do have a motorcycle to ride in the summer, so the commute to work won't go on the truck. I'm looking to sell a Dodge Durango and a Mazda 6 and replace it with the truck.

Thanks in advance!

joe

Old 05-12-2008, 08:37 PM
Default RE: Looking to buy....

First of all welcome to the club. I dont know how much you are looking to pay but find one that has like under 75k. And when you get it make sure it has a tranny cooler.gas mileage in the city will be typically 12-14

Old 05-12-2008, 08:58 PM

you should be able to squeeze 15 city out of it... mine got 17 when i got it but its a 4.8 and two wheel drive...

Old 05-12-2008, 09:16 PM

I have an '03ECSB(3rd and 4th door),4wd(Z71) with the 5.3 and 4l60e automatic. Plenty of room for 4 adults and a car seat. Mileage is 15 in town and 19+ on the interstate(75-80mph mostly).

Notable problemsinclude: Sometimes bad tranny's(4l60e's)mine went at 68K, drive line clunk(grease fixed it on mine), steering shaft wear(none on mine though). Tailgate cables had a recall in some years(I haven't had any issue with mine).

Good points: These trucks will haul whatever you want,whether hauling' @SS or a big payload. I'm not afraid to hook up to any trailer, it has plenty of power and good suspension. The trucks are very comfortable, across town or across country. I think they are some of the better looking vehicles on the road and there are lots ofadd-on parts on the market to make it your own. If you get into the right loops it is easy to figure out the performance end of owning one and the trucks respond well to what you'll read here and some of the other boards.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:11 AM

Thanks for the replies!

Well, the tranny issue isn't inspiring. Is there a particular year (such as '03) affected, or is that across the line? Is there any way to know it's going besides feeling weird shifting? Since I haven't driven a Silverado before, it's hard to know what's normal and what's not.

It sounds like a tranny cooler is good insurance since I'll be towing some.

Any particular reason for the suggestion of < 75k miles? I was looking at about 50k-60k on most of the trucks. I didn't know if maybe they exploded at 80k or something.

Thanks everyone.

joe

Old 05-13-2008, 08:00 AM

The transmissions in anything 99 and up are great but they need a little assistance when hauling and towing to prolong their life. But you will have that with most trucks anyway. But you can't beat a 99-08 Silverado when it comes to power vs. fuel economy. I researched a sh*tload of truck and the best bang for the buck with mpg was the Silverado. Anything 99 and up has the same engines available. The 5.3 is by far the best option as the best economy vs horsepower. The only real difference between the years:

1. 99-02 Silverados 270-275 horsepower. 16-20 mpg on average. A little easier to fix and a little less costly if you find one with low miles.
2. 03 and up have electric fans and a little more horsepower than 99-02. They are also are E85 compatable.
3. I believe 05 and up use drum brakes instead of disk brakes in the rear which are easier to work on and last longer.
4. 07 and up have the DOD (Displacement On Demand) which get a little better economy on the highway.

Make sure they come equipped with the Tow/Haul option and a hitch. (Most do)

With the economy the way it is trucks are a dime-a-dozen so don't just settle for a good truck, find the best deal you can. Avoid dealerships if you can. There is usually a 1,000 to 2,000 KBB difference in price between a dealer and a private seller.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:28 AM

i was in the same boat you were about 10 months ago!
trust me! driving a silverado will make you feel stupid for not having one before!
the quality and detail put into the construction of the vehicle is second to none!

you will be very happy with your purchase...but as the guys said before... watch out for the miled out vehicles.. dont go to the dealer. (even though they usually have the low milage vehicles) and SHOP AROUND!!!!!!
the more miled out they are the more likely things are going to go on you!
but thats pretty common sense!

oh! and take it from me! if your going to be doing any hauling make sure you get a tranny cooler. i just learned that the hard way ($4000 later!!!)

good luck and keep us updated
welcome to the club!

Old 05-13-2008, 11:12 AM

I want to do a cooler too but how much were you haulin before your trans went?

Old 05-13-2008, 12:33 PM

Gas prices here just hit $3.96 / gallon (central Indiana). I'm having a very hard time pulling the trigger on this. On the other hand, you only live once.

joe

Old 05-13-2008, 01:03 PM

i personally like my 06 front end better than the previous years. they changed it around a little but gave it the front end and hood of the 05 hd's which just looks better.
i believe only certain 05 then 06-07 came with electric fans. 05 and up do have rear drum brakes but it stops well and if you are towing a really heavy load electric brakes are a must on anything (maybe not the duramax)
as for MPG mine gets around 14 in 80% city driving but that is with crappy 3.42 gears (which most 05-07 classic trucks came with)
powerwise the 5.3 is a very good motor, better than the ford 5.4 but i always want more and since i now have a saturn getting 36mpg city, i wish i had gotten the vortec max (since the truck is not a daily driver anymore)
i believe he was right with 99 models having about 275hp and 01-03 having around 285 and then in 04 they got up to 295. if you are lucky you might be able to find an 05-07 classic with an aluminum motor which gets you 310 but ive driven one and it feels no more powerful than mine with 295hp.
mine came with the hd trailering package with the transmission cooler on it and i have towed a 72 chevelle and two polaris 800 sportsmans with no heat troubles so far. if you are towing a long while, up mountains, or stop and go driving while not on a highway while towing, use the tow/haul mode and the transmission should hold up nicely.
comfort is amazing even with only an LT1 package.

good luck on your purchase.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy....