Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking into getting a lift.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 01:11 AM
Default Looking into getting a lift.

Hey yall, im new here, I have a question for ya. I just got my 01' z71 sunday, and for upgrades im looking at a flowmaster, lift, k&n fipk, and maybe a grill gaurd. The first thing I think I wana do is a lift, Im thinking 2". I have brand new BFG all terrains on it right now, so those will be on there for a long time. What do you guys think?

Here is a link to the pic, tell me if you think 2' would be good. Also keep in mind im only 17, so im very short on money, this will take me months to save for...lol(yeah, my parents bought it for me, but dont get me wrong i aint one of those rich *** snooty kids who dont have value in things, this is the biggest thing to happen to me in my life!)

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l3.../truck002b.jpg

Old 12-13-2006, 07:08 PM
Default RE: Looking into getting a lift.

wow nice parents. im gonna just put new adjustable torsion keys on my truck to make it level in the front. it will raise it about 2 inches. i recomend you do the same. the keys are about 70 bucks and you can install them for yourself. then you just have to go down and get an alignment done. so 150 and your done. where at in california are you from?

Old 12-13-2006, 07:11 PM

body lifts look decent if you get the gap guards, 2 in suspension isnt really going to get you much, the way chevy has their wheel-wells designed if you want big tires you gotta go big....which sucks... if you do decide to get a lift be careful where you buy it...price them from as many places as you can...and get it printed out too, be careful at 4wheel parts they will try to push pro-comp pretty hard because they OWN it...also go out and try to find the issue of petersens 4wheel and offroad with the white silverado on the cover on a dune...in there they do a test of all the lift kits avaliable and tells you how much actual lift you achieve... and with flows...go with the series 40 or 50 or the super 40...be careful where you get that done too because my buddy had a shop rip him off big time as for lifting your truck, wait and go with a good suspension kit, and try to find one with a-add-leaf's or helper springs, if you can stay away from lift blocks...in the long run those can hurt you th k&n FIPK is nasty good, but make sure you get the entire kit...from filter to throttle body... and grille gaurds look alright on those trucks, make sure you go somewhere where you can kinda hold it up to the truck

Old 12-13-2006, 08:54 PM

I had a body lift on my 93 Z-71, and it was OK, but looked a little funny, If you can afford it do a suspension lift. Several guys I have talked to say RCD is great and no issues with alignment. Peterson's 4 wheel and off road mag just had a comparison of suspension lifts on 99-06' silverado 1500s and CST came out on top, but very expensive. Best bang for you buck was superlift. The other thing to think about is if you are going to pay to have it done, see what the local shops have done in the past. You don't want to pay and have them screw it up then make you pay more to fix it.

Old 12-14-2006, 01:10 AM

Thanks guys, great tips. yeah, I think i wana have someone do it for me, i just gotta ask people around my area where they had em done. That first respose sounds like the way to go. I live about 30 mins east of sacremento, most of our shops are up the hill from me.

Old 12-14-2006, 02:15 AM

there is a 4 wheel drive place right down the street from my house you could check out. they quoted me pretty cheep on an old ford explorer i used to own. i can get back to you on the actual name cause im not possitive what the name is. ill check tomarrow on my way from work. its right in north sac about 3 minutes from arden mall