Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

loud scrubbing noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 08:39 PM
Default loud scrubbing noise

i got stuck today and my truck is makeing this loud scrubbig noise. i took all four tires and cleaned the brake pads and shoes and it still does it. what could it be and what should i do

Old 01-05-2008, 08:46 PM
Default RE: loud scrubbing noise

WHAT did you get Stuck in?

Old 01-05-2008, 09:03 PM

swamp

Old 01-05-2008, 09:09 PM

Does it have ABS Brakes Sounds like the sensors might have gotten mucked up

Old 01-05-2008, 09:32 PM

yeah it does have abs. so how do i check them sensors

Old 01-05-2008, 11:04 PM
TruckForum Addict

The sensors are inside your hub... I'm pretty sure there is no checking them.

You actually took the calipers off all 4 rotors and cleaned the surfaces of your pads real good? Did you make sure no large pieces of sand or tiny rocks get lodged into your pads or atleast stuck in them somehow? If you did all that I'd recheck it all and then possibly check your wheel bearings/axle bearings. Seems like it would have to be brake related though.

Make sure none of your brakes are hanging up/freezing up. Could have a caliper that has frozen up and binding causing it to scrub the rotor while your driving. Probably not but just a thought.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:41 AM

could the tin guards that are on the backsidebe bent and rubbing? hard to explain, or for that matter, i'm not sure if our trucks have them. They could be heat shields? They are round, and on backside of wheel hub.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:23 PM

well it only does it in the front and only when i press the brake. i cleaned the pads and they look pretty rough so i figured just keep on driven it and it will get back to normal. but im pretty dang sure its a brake problem

Old 01-06-2008, 04:30 PM
TruckForum Addict

if you have a smooth concrete driveway you can take them off and scrub them on the driveway a little but grind them flush and then take some sandpaper to them to make them nice and smooth. Also might try turning the front rotors... could have some hot spots developing on the rotors.

I think the tin plates your talking about are the dust shield/covers behind the rotors. I think they just to keep grease on road grime from getting on your rotors. They could be scrubbing but you'd notice a groove on the back side of the rotor if they were.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:37 PM

Yes 72charger, thats what i was referring to, but if they are bent a little, ya would hear them, but not necessarily would they groove the rotors. I'm not gonna ask WTF he was doing getting stuck in a "SWAMP".......... If i don't own a Monster Truck, ya won't catch me near any swamps, atleast not on purpose anyways.

Quick Reply: loud scrubbing noise