Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

louder exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 09:02 PM
Smile louder exhaust

hey guys i have a 2003 gmc sierra 6.0 gas with a k&n cold air intake with a flower master exhaust with 4in piping from muffler back . Ok so i would like to have my exhaust louder so i know i have some resenators can i take them out? and i also wanted to cut the exhaust from pretty much the header and put dual exhaust out the back of my front tires. Thats just a pipe dream but to make it luder with out hurrting my baby any help would be great.
Thanks eric

Old 10-19-2009, 09:48 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Headers and some hi flow cats. Or for right now, gut your cats. But headers alone will make it sound much more louder, even with your flowmaster.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:08 PM

thanks for the tip but if i gut my cats dont i get even worse gas millage? and if i was to gut them wouldnt that be the same as to just cutting them out and putting just a pice of pipe???
thaks eric..

Old 10-20-2009, 08:24 PM

1. "Redneck Ram-Air"- Take your stock airbox out and cut many small holes to perforate (sp?) a large section to be cut out in the frontof the airbox(facing the headlight), under the joint where the filter sits. You can do this with an ordinary household drill anda hole-saw (like for cutting door-**** holes).... BE CAREFULL NOT TO CUT TOO CLOSE TO THE JOINT WHERE THE TOP PORTION OF THE AIRBOX ATTACHES!!!Make sure you clean out all the plastic shavings before reassembly. For best results,I highly recommend a high-flowdrop in air filter such as a K&N. I think Auto Zone sells them for around $50. These air filters are lifetime filters that you only clean when they need to be cleaned. When you go to the track (or around town), you can take the passenger side headlight out and have a free Ram-Air-ishsetup. It will help bring cool air in the engine (especially at highway speeds). Money saved-$300 compared to the Vera Ram system. Even more if compared to a ram air hood.

what do u mean by the sensor wires? the plug u use to connect it to the truck?

Old 10-20-2009, 08:37 PM

For 58 more bucks you could get the Spectre Cold Air Intake. Its a set up just like the K&N but different brand. As far as the gutted cats, no your mileage wont get worse. Their main purpose is to clean out the exhaust. Next time you cold start your truck, start it and run it for bout 15-20 seconds. Then shut it off. Then reach under and feel the piping before the cat and then feel the piping after the cat. Big difference in temp. It takes some pressure and heat to push through those cats. When I gutted mine, the engine temperature was easier to regulate with my e-fans. But I got more top end power and my mileage did not get worse. If anything I got better gas mileage. All I have is 2001 5.3 with CAI, LS1 cam, Magnaflow Exhaust, gutted cats, stock exhaust manifolds, throttle body spacer, and custom tune.... and I get about 18 in the city, 23 on the highway.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:27 PM

yeah whel my baby gets like 10city and 13high way bit like i said i got a full knk intake kit. so i want to try that sensor like u said just push out that mesh in side of it im going to try that and it should free up some hp right? and i cant thank u enough for your help thanks
eric...

Old 10-22-2009, 12:41 PM

No dont do that. That is to eliminate turbulence of air flowing over the sensors. Takin it off does not give more power. I burned up my transmission doin that. Dont risk it. I can give you some other mods that cost nothing but that is not one to risk. It only allows about 100 cfm more air to pass.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:21 PM

what are thoes mods : ) i just do not want to hurt my baby i am going to take out the junk in my cats and what abouht my resistors do i need thoes they have no wires to them but if i took them out and hollwed out my cats my check engin light will not come on right ? and thanks for the help man so much if you ever need tips on wireing let me know weare its troubble shooting or adive with radios stereo systems id be glad to help

eric...

Old 10-23-2009, 10:08 PM

No problem. Now when you do gut your cats, yes the check engine light will come on. Buy some O2 sensor simulators online. They screw in between the rear O2 sensors and tell the computer the cats are functioning. So no check engine light. They cost about 30 bucks a piece. Just google O2 simulators and check them out. Now remember gutting your cats will make it louder, but you will lose low end torque or the power from off the line. But you will gain it on top end at wide open throttle.

Old 10-24-2009, 03:30 PM

well i am going to do it soon i mean my truck dose not have that much low end torque as it is but im going to see if i can get something to help me with that.

eric..

Quick Reply: louder exhaust