Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Lowerin' the Dually

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 01:25 PM
Default Lowerin' the Dually

Hey y'all, just wanted to say that I searched around quite a bit, but did not find exactly what I was looking for, so I decided to make my own thread.

My current project is a 1994 GMC Sierra C3500, Quad Cab, Long Box, Dually. I am planning on having it lay frame when I am done, but for now, I could use some help/tips on doing a mild drop.

I know there are quite a few ways to go about it, but I guess I wanted some advice before I go to far. I guess iIwant to get it as low as i can without tire rub, and without breaking the bank to much. Obviously there is shorter springs/shocks, flip kits, shackles, leaf-under etc.... any input?

Thanks!

Old 05-24-2010, 07:26 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Here is a picture of my old dually -

https://www.truckforums.com/forum/pi...116102&thumb=1

That picture is small - you can see it better in my photo album.

Last edited by Mr_Shamrock; 05-24-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:29 PM

Lets see if this is better...

Old 05-25-2010, 04:08 AM

That is exactly the look I am going for at the moment!! Please bombard and spam me with everything you did to it lol. Not sure if it makes a difference, but I do have the 7.4L 454.

Thanks!

Old 05-25-2010, 07:20 AM

Mine was a 1994 454 also. It was a real basic 4"-6" drop using spindles and springs up front and a flip in the rear. The frame was C-Notched in the rear and it had airbags (only in the rear) for towing. The way it is pictured is with the airbags fully deflated. The strange thing about this truck is it rode like a freakin Cadillac. I was shocked the first time I drove it. It absolutely rode better than ANY lowered truck or stock height truck for that matter that I have ever had (and I have had quit a few!). When I decided to sell it my father who has never been into lowered trucks was trying his best to buy it from me, which I know you don't know him, but that says a ton. When he first saw it he said "Looks good, but I bet you need a neck brace to drive it". After I took him for a ride it was all he talked about. Go for it man, and let us know how it works out. I miss mine!

Old 05-25-2010, 12:42 PM

Well I am hoping I get get it nearly that low without the notch for now. Another question i had was how hard is it to figure out your driveshaft length when doing this?

Love the look of that truck, mines the same color, with a visor and razorback, can't wait to get it low!

Old 05-25-2010, 04:11 PM

Driveshaft length? I didn't mess with the driveshaft.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:19 AM

Perhaps i have been misinformed then, but i thought when lowering a vehicle, you bring the rear axle slightly closer to the transmission, therefore requiring an adjustment in driveshaft length. If not, thats just good news for me. Thanks again!

Old 05-26-2010, 06:40 AM

No the only thing you need to watch on the driveshaft is the angles. If after lowering or raising your driveshaft is as a sharp angle you can wear out U-Joints faster or I have heard but never experienced vibrations from the angles being too great. I wouldn't let that worry you.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:31 AM

Ah well thats good to know, thanks for the new information. I wanna get started asap, but I love driving this thing lol. Any chance you can give me a link to the specific products you used?

Quick Reply: Lowerin' the Dually