Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

magnaflow? flowmaster? which do you prefer?

Old 03-30-2012, 11:25 AM
Beginner
Default magnaflow? flowmaster? which do you prefer?

hi all,
i'm looking for a muffler and tail pipe for my '05 silverado (5.3) and i want a sound that is throaty, low rumbling but not something really loud or anything that will cause a cab droning when going down the road...can anyone suggest an economical exhaust that will give me the sound i want for the lowest price? and what exhaust do you prefer? also, do they really give more horsepower with the catalytic converter still attached?
thanks,
Tom

Old 04-01-2012, 01:55 AM
Beginner

Between Magnaflow, and Flowmaster, I would go with Flowmaster.

Now, with that said... I say go with the Cherry Bomb eXtreme muffler. It's what I have on my truck, plus they are a good bit cheaper than Flowmaster mufflers. It's a short, almost straight through muffler (not a glasspack) and produces very deep, rich, throaty sound, but not any annoying noise in the cab, just a nice soft mellow tone while cruising.

I have the 4.8 Vortec, and prior to installing the Cherry Bomb, I had a Flowmaster. At cruising speed, I couldn't tell much difference between the two, but when I stomp on the gas, or let off, the Cherry Bomb sounds way better, since it's a highly free flowing muffler.

All the exhaust pipe on my truck is stock, back to the muffler, then I have 2 3/4" pipe exiting out into 3 1/2" tips. The size of your exhaust pipe, and your tips, plays a bigger roll in overall sound, than a muffler does. The smaller the pipe, the louder and higher pitched your sound will be. The bigger you go, the more you will notice that throaty, deep, mellow sound.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:34 AM
Beginner

Good info, I think I'll look in to flowmaster today when I hit NAPA in town.
I'm looking for a new exhaust as well so this little review helped a bit. Thanks Brandan

Old 04-02-2012, 07:49 PM
Beginner

I have the magna flow. Very deep and throaty. Any system you put on that's deep and throaty you're gonna get some resonance in the cab.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:21 AM
Beginner

Well ordered a dynomax super turbo muffler.
Supposed to be quiet compared to other turbo mufflers due to a triple baffle design "shrug" as long as it flows like they promote it does haha.

Napa item 17334, it's an offset design.