Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

max tire size w/ stock height

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 05:23 PM
Default max tire size w/ stock height

hello, i am looking into getting a chevy/gmc 1500 pickup between the years of 97-02, ext cab short box, Z71 that will probably have a stock height(no lift) and i'm thinking of changing the wheels and tires out. I am looking at getting a set of KMC revolver 18" wheels with an aggressive tire such as the BFG all-terrain or mud-terrain, or something similar. I have a few questions that I really hope can get answered.

What is the MAX size tire that can be on these different body styles (stock height) trucks without rubbing or need for any mods?

What is the MAX size tire that can be on these trucks with a 3-4" lift without rubbing or other mods?

thanks

Old 05-11-2009, 08:53 PM

Your max tire size when it comes to a lift depends on the offset of the wheel you are buying compared to the stock. With a 3-4" lift and an offset that is around 2" smaller than stock (where the inside edge of the wheel is 2" closer to the mounting surface) you should have no problem fitting a set of 33" x 12.5" tires (this is a very very common size and you would not want to try and make the jump to 35" tires). I do not know what the metric version of these would be for a set of 18" wheels (because after 15" wheels all tire sizes go to metric). The width would be 315,the height I am pretty sure would be around 60 but dont quote me on that one.

As far as with a stock ride hieght you should be able to run a set of 285/60?/18 tires with out a problem.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:17 PM

Sorry I meant 305 not 315. And I just confirmed it would be a 305/60/18. The non lifted would be a 275/70/18 with a 2" offset change.

Last edited by 6mins2live; 05-11-2009 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:05 PM

If you go to 35's you will want to change the gears, if you go bigger than that, you will have to change the gears with the half ton trucks. They tend to be really hard to keep power when turning that big of tire. The gears make it like they were never there.

I would just stick with an equivilent tire to 33's and get a leveling kit.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:46 PM

would you have to change the gears for 35"s if you had an 04 silverado 1/2 ton with stock 4:10 gears? (dads truck) i know 4:56 gears are usually popular.

what exactlly is a leveling kit? is that only needed for a lift?

and one last random question, how are tires that are labeled as 33"s or 35"s etc. measured??? similar to like a 265/70/17? (width, profile, rim)

Old 05-13-2009, 10:36 PM

You dont neccisarily need to go to a taller gear set with the bigger tires. You definately do not have the power that you used to but it is not totally a need either, good idea? Yes. Not too many people go with 35"s anyway. There is a lot of work that goes into that and with mpg, power loss, tow cap loss, ride quality, it is just not worth it on a daily driver truck. 4.10s are def better for that than 3.73.

A leveling kit levels the front end of the truck with the rear because from the factory they front end come lower than the rear so that when you haul or tow the truck sits lower in the rear level with the front. (you will find you truck performs and handles much better with weight in the bed). So this would not be needed with a lift. It is only used to raise the front 2 inches to match the rear.

Many poeple call out tires by those sizes because they are the most common sizes to raise to. When you are dealing with 15" wheels which is used in most all off road applications (which is generally where you see these sizes) the tires a measured in inches vs in mm for 16" wheels and larger. So you would see 33"x12.5"x15" or 35x13.5x15 (height x width x wheel). So most people call tires out by these sizes still because it is easier to recognize than the metric system of tire sizing because the number changes totally everytime you change wheel sizes because the second number is the height of the side wall based on a percentage of the width. So with a 17" wheel a set of 33s would be 305x65x17 and 35 would be 315x70x17. It is just much easier to call them 33's or 35's.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:34 PM

I agree, but they still do make serious mud tires in 16 on up to about 20's in standard sizes.

Check this out. http://www.intercotire.com/tires.php

And this. http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/t...=BajaATZRadial

So on and so on!

Old 05-15-2009, 04:33 PM

They make them the sizes are just listed differently

Old 05-25-2009, 04:46 AM

VIDEOS included - Forex trading"Something Fantastic" happens every day at the same time, to the same stock index... forex jobs that will make you rich! forex analysis Karl Dittmann (Germany) - 30 years of trading experience free forex signals If you learn the one hidden secret which is repeated daily for years, you will make an incredible profit! fores trading signals One single stock index trade within 15 minutes of the market pening is all you need!
What if you knew a trading secret so simple, yet so powerful, that anyone could use to profit from the Stock market even without experience. All You need is to trade Single Stock Index - 15 minutes at the opening. 30-50 ticks daily can be yours! automated forex trading This is Guaranteed!
There is no way to lose money! forex trading Forget Indicators and stock trading guides! forex tips There is "something" which happens every day at the same time with the same Stock Index...! best forex This is when you can make real money! interbank forex It is absolutely possible to have 9 or even 10 winning trades out of 10... All you need is to know the secret and exact trading algorithm. The secret can be used for some other major stocks too!
This Secret Will Completely Change Your Life!
The System is 100% mechanical and doesn't need any tech indicators or other tech materials...
it can be used by anyone... even beginners. Newbies will like the simplicity while experts will like the ease of use and amazing stock index trading idea .... forex training It is a complete plug and play system can be used by any people even without any experience of Stock indices trading!
All You need is the idea and the exact plug-n-play trading algorithm. forex trading online Finally, these unbelievable trading secret are available to the public for the first time ever. forex traders This method have the potential to completely change your life. forex strategy 100% Mechanical system, which have been hidden for years, known to only a group of Wealthy Trading Elite!
Join us know...
I guarantee once you read and apply for our method - you will never look back, and never want to use any other trading Stock market system!
wow gold warcraft gold