Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

messed up truck????

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 05:36 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Well now you gotta have a fuel pressure gauge hooked up to it and see what it does with key on. Sounds like the pump is gone but just to be sure do that first.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by RUFFNECK4LYFE
Well now you gotta have a fuel pressure gauge hooked up to it and see what it does with key on. Sounds like the pump is gone but just to be sure do that first.
My bets with RUFFNECK4LYFE. It's probably your fuel pump gone bad. If you can't hear the pump whinning in the tank when you turn the key on, the pump isn't working. You should be able to hear some sort of noise coming from the tank area. Connecting a fuel pressure guage to the fuel rail will surely tell you if it's working or not. When you test for fuel pressure, you should read at least 50 psi on the guage. It should also drop no more than 5 psi after pressurizing. That's normal; any more than that you will have a fuel system leak somewhere.

If you have to replace the pump, it's a breeze. I just replaced my fuel level sensor which is nearly the same as replacing the fuel pump. I unbolted the truck bed (8 bolts) and with three other guys moved it aft three feet (don't forget to unhook the brake light wiring harnesses). You get to the top of the tank with access to the fuel tank assembly without having to drain the tank and having to remove the tank as most instructions give you (a pain in the ***). It took me less than 2 hours from start to finish.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:32 PM

thanks for all the advice i'm gonna try everything, hopefully i find the problem, i'll update tomorrow and let youall know how it goes, thanks again.

Last edited by ivan25; 01-15-2010 at 09:32 PM. Reason: changes
Old 01-16-2010, 12:10 PM

update:well i change the fuel pump relay just to see if that was the problem but nothing, i took the bed off the truck and turn the key on and no sound comes from the tank so i'm probably gonna buy me one this week, we'll see what happens.

Last edited by ivan25; 01-16-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:38 PM

I would check for a blown fuse before going too much further.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by SlimJim
I would check for a blown fuse before going too much further.
i already checke the fuses related to the uel system and all are good.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:29 AM

have someone turn the key to on but dont start it and you take your gas cap off put your ear up to the hole and listen when they do this. If you cant hear anything id say its your fuel pump. If thats it hit the bottom of the take with a rubber mallet or something while someone is trying to start it. then it should run long enogh to get you to the shop.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:19 PM

update: first of all i want to thank everyone for their advice it was helpfull, so finally got the new fuel pump in the mail today, i checked for a pump in autozone, advanced auto, pep boys and the dealer, and let me tell you the were spensive the chepest was 275, the one i needed was 388 and in the dealer was 500 and some change, so i went online and found the one i needed in amazon for 221 including shiping and handling( bosch part#67305) it is the same as the factory one, so i put it in after i change the fuel filter wich was usuless, the fuel tha came out of it was charcoal black nasty, so i put the pump in hooked the wires up and fuel lines, i opend the on switch a couple of times to build pressure and finally turn it on and it ran like a champ, man this has been interesting hahahaha
Well just to let people know a bad fuel filter and bad pump can cause a lean condition in your truck and mess you day, also don't be scare of doing repairs yourself cuz you'll save some money and you'll take better care of you truck, i'm not a mechanic and i did it, so anyone can do it.

thanks averyone!!!

Last edited by ivan25; 01-21-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:18 PM

Glad to hear you got er fixed.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by RUFFNECK4LYFE
If its running lean then there is a vacum leak somewhere. The quickest way to pinpoint it is spray some starter fluid around the intake all over little by little to see if the idle goes up. If it does then that should tell you where its leaking from.
That is a GREAT suggestion for anyone with a vacuum leak!!
I had one on a old van I got rid of last year to buy my new silverado. It had a vacuum leak for a year before I found it!! If I had known this it would have been a snap!
Again, great idea..I learn something new every day on this site. Thank you for the great idea.

Quick Reply: messed up truck????