Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More Power

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 07:25 PM
Default More Power

Will a performance module void my warranty and shorten my engine's life expectancy?

I'm looking at Hypertech or bullydog, any experience would be appreciated.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:42 PM
Default RE: More Power

I'd go with Banks or bully dog. I was told that it would void my warranty and to just de program before you take it to the dealership. I had to take it in once and did that, they don't care about intakes though which was a nice thing.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:58 PM

I was under the impression that Bully Dog will not void your warranty, but I am not sure about the Banks

Old 10-11-2007, 11:30 PM
TruckForum Addict

Any altering of the stock ECU programming will void your warranty at any dealership. For that matter, any service manager can void your warranty for just about anything aftermarket. As my last boss told me, anything that makes a vehicle run in such a manner that is not how the manufacturer designed it, is grounds for voiding the customer's warranty. It may not be fair but the simple truth of the matter is any aftermarket performance accessory on any vehicle can potentially be grounds for voiding your warranty. Although some dealerships are much more leniant on it than others. The technicians make far less money working on a vehicle covered by the manufacturer warranty then they do working for "cash". So it's in the technicians favor to have his manager void your warranty should he see aHypertech programmer laying in the passanger seat. The best thing to do is to call the dealership you have your vehicle serviced at and verify with the service manager what will and will not void your warranty in "their" shop.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:29 AM

Hyper tech recommends removing your power program before visiting any dealer because they update your computer everytime you come in, even if it's just for an oil change. Check you state law,in FL it is illegal for a manufacturer to not cover a warranty issue unless they can prove that your mods caused the problem.

Old 10-12-2007, 04:25 PM
TruckForum Addict

That's not true. I've worked in two different dealerships now and I also know how the tech help lines work from talking to fellow technicians. If they call their manufacture tech support line with a problem they ask them if the vehicle has any aftermarket parts on it and if it does they automatically will tell you to remove them to properly diagnose the problem whether it's relavent or not. Likewise the service manager can void the warranty should a customer modify their vehicle in such a way that it makes it operate in a different manner than it was intended.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:21 PM

I have a 4" Fabtech suspention lift, 35/13/18 tires, and a modified wieght of over 5400 lbs. The dealership in Daytona replaced my right front caliper under warranty. That is not to say you are not speaking truth. Perhaps it depends on the dealership.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:06 PM

my dad just bought a 07 silverado w the 4.8, he asked the techs about getting more power, and they said get a chip, when he asked about warranty, they told him they generally turn the other cheek when they find them

Old 10-16-2007, 04:43 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: OILBURNER6.6

Will a performance module void my warranty and shorten my engine's life expectancy?

I'm looking at Hypertech or bullydog, any experience would be appreciated.
[/quote
Maybe and Maybe is my answer! I had one in my cummins and if you have a drivetrain problem you'll want to remove it before you take it in. I would buy the chip from a local speed shop and ask them were to take it for warranty work if needed. My local shop knows the dealerships very well and will reccommend which one that doesn't care if you have one. Most guys that have a diesel that work there have them also! Talk to service managers around and find out which ones are cool, most are and won't care as long as you remove the program before you bring it to them. As for being good for your engine, depends on how you drive. It will actually help your drivetrain as long as you don't keep it on it's highest setting and romp on it constantly. Then your EGT's will ending up hurting the motor and turbo along with the tranny taking a beating. Use it wisely, they are a must have on any diesel and I would stick with Edge programmers myself.