Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

which muffler

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 07:13 AM
Default which muffler

Hi all,

I'm looking for a recommendation for a muffler for my truck. The last one I had (a '94 Silverado) had a cat and custom Y split to two rear facing tips. Made the truck sound REALLY good, but I live near a State Police post. Turns out that it's officer's discretion on whether a vehicle is too loud in the great state of Michigan. Took 20min talking to an officer to get them to admit that piece of information. Anyway, I ended up putting the stock exhaust back on my old truck (after many hours of praying to the truck gods for forgiveness).

Now I've got a '04 Silverado extended cab with a short box. It has the stock exhaust system. I'd like to get a single in, dual out muffler (piped to rear facing tips) to give it some throatiness, but still be quiet enough to keep the boys in blue happy. I'm not looking to kill the low end with a high-flow muffler, or to change the characteristics too much. Does anyone have suggestions on what type of muffler I should be looking at?

Old 08-01-2007, 02:57 PM
Default RE: which muffler

a flowmaster will give it a deep tone but it aint to loud............a v- force is almost the same cept for when ur on the gas ..then it's a lil bit louder...both sound really good

Old 08-01-2007, 04:12 PM
TruckForum Addict

I was just up in michigan so i know what you meen by the cops up there. But i wouldgo with the singlein dual out flowmaster 40seriesa few of mywifesfamily members had this on diferrent cars and truck and they said they do not get stoped so you should be okay plus a muffler shop should be able to tell you.

Im so glad they dont care about stuff like this in oklahoma.

Old 08-01-2007, 05:45 PM
TruckForum Addict

Dude the cops in Florida don't give a crap about V8 exhast. They spend all their time righting rice burners tickets, LOL! (Been there done that) Anyway, the 40 isn't too loud at all until you get on it. If you floor it a lot I would recommend the 30 series. I lost a bit of low end with my 40 series as well.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:53 PM

get a single in dual out 50 series flow it will have a nice throatty sound with not to bad on acceleration to keep them boys in blue happy.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:00 PM

Hm... the 50 series dual out says it's only for the 6.0L, I have the 5.3... think it'll fit?

Old 08-01-2007, 10:53 PM

i like the flow super 44 personally... its has a really deep rumble when idling... not very loud when you get on it though

Old 08-01-2007, 11:27 PM
TruckForum Addict

No muffler is designed for any specific engine. You could put a 50 series on a Honda Civic if you wanted to.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:13 AM

hey, i have one. i got it at http://www.suvandtruckparts.com

Old 08-02-2007, 02:44 PM

ORIGINAL: 72charger

Dude the cops in Florida don't give a crap about V8 exhast. They spend all their time righting rice burners tickets, LOL! (Been there done that) Anyway, the 40 isn't too loud at all until you get on it. If you floor it a lot I would recommend the 30 series. I lost a bit of low end with my 40 series as well.
indeed! I would much rather write up the idiots in the rice rocketsto make them pay 3 times as much un the long run for putting a coffee can where their muffler is supposed to be.

Quick Reply: which muffler