Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

muffler dripping fluid what could be the cause

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 09:38 PM
Red face muffler dripping fluid what could be the cause

hi i just changed the spark plugs today it had autolites and i changed them to acdelcos. . . after i started the truck and let it idle a couple minutes i noticed the left muffler started dripping clear fluid, what could be causing this to happen or is it normal. . . .please help. . . .its a 98 chevrolet 350 5.7 vortec truck. . . . .any help is appreciated. . .oh and it fires up quick and idle is stable

Old 07-13-2010, 10:57 PM

Where was it parked in relation to where it was idled? It could just be condensation if the exterior environment changed.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:30 AM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Very normal. Its just condesation. Thats why all enclosed mufflers have holes for that.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by RUFFNECK4LYFE
Very normal. Its just condesation. Thats why all enclosed mufflers have holes for that.
i dont think mufflers are suppose to have holes in them cause then that would make it sound like it has an exhaust leak... which if it's leaking from the actual muffler then a little tac weld can fix that... but condensation coming form the exhaust is normal, have you ever been behind someone and see water dripping out of the tail pipe, it's the same thing cept you prob have some small hole in your muffler and some of it is coming out of there... nothing to really worry about.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:46 AM

enclosed mufflers do have holes for the condensation to dip out of otherwise the mufflers will rot out quickly like it did on my 92 chevy c1500 pickup i had. it had those holes but the previous owner replaced the original muffler with a new one and he said he deliberatly plugged the holes because of the drippage and when i got it the muffler was 6 mos old and was starting to rot where the holes were because they were plugged

Old 07-14-2010, 09:31 AM
Default Fluid

The liquid is just plain water. Any time you have combustion there are two things that are created: CO2 and water vapor. This is completely normal and nothing to be worried about.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:03 AM

ok thank you everybody for ya'lls responses i appreciate it

Old 07-15-2010, 08:25 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by 1994chevydriver
enclosed mufflers do have holes for the condensation to dip out of otherwise the mufflers will rot out quickly like it did on my 92 chevy c1500 pickup i had. it had those holes but the previous owner replaced the original muffler with a new one and he said he deliberatly plugged the holes because of the drippage and when i got it the muffler was 6 mos old and was starting to rot where the holes were because they were plugged
Right on!

Old 07-15-2010, 10:55 PM

thank you RUFFNECK4LYFE

Old 07-16-2010, 06:53 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Yep, as long as you don't see your coolant level dropping your fine!

Quick Reply: muffler dripping fluid what could be the cause