Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

my brothers truck is haveing some real major issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 12:39 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default my brothers truck is haveing some real major issues

94 gmc sierra ext cab 4x4 5.7 l v8 z71 with close to 300,000 miles

ok fro a bout a year know his truck has developed a problem when you turn the ignition to start it wont start or crank but on the thrid or 4th time it does i put a new battery in it for him also an altenator fast foreward to today -4 with winds of 45 mph he and i are of fwork and he wanted me to lok at his truck told me it wont start at all i checked fro codes and there are non thrown i checked 43 times and even took the battery out and hooked it back up to see if i could trick the compture no luck
so i go poking around abit i find his negative terminal bolt on his side post is striped his buddy put in a amp and subs probaly cross threaded the negative when hooking up the battery again this was about 4 months ago
so i get ubder the dash and tighten it as tight as it can go without it sliping loose again still wont start also tried to jump start it with no luck
i chacked the fuses all is good i checked the battery its got 14 volts
im thinking ignition switch or bad ground ssomewhere friday ill replace the striped bolt fro the terminal to see if it helps

im going to check power to the starter next
the problem is it doesnt crank no trun over or nothing
could it also be a fuel pump relay

me being stupid trhew away my chiltons so i have to wing it until friday wehn i can purches a new one
any ideas would be helpfull

thanks

Old 01-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Senior Site Administrator

cubpack, go to this link-

https://elibrary.mel.org/validate?ur...ch%3Fdb%3DCHLL

and log in with this-
P105200000645

gives you access to EVERY chiltons you could ever want.

Enjoy

Old 01-12-2012, 12:46 PM
TruckForum Addict

thanks

Old 01-13-2012, 12:31 AM
TruckForum Addict

It's a bad starter if you have to turn the key to "start" four times in order to get it to crank. The commutator and/or brushes are bad inside the starter.

Thanks nj85z28 for that info .. I get the same thing through my school, but it's always nice to know about more ways to get online service manuals

Old 01-14-2012, 07:39 PM
TruckForum Addict

thanks ill check into his starter if so hell be gettin a new one

Old 01-15-2012, 12:48 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Mytruck did the same and it was the starter. Actually the solenoid went out but it comes with a new starter.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:06 AM
TruckForum Addict

yep it was his starter soliniod had a loose stud on it it was the one that has the wire going into the starter motor
replaced the starter and took his batter cables off cleaned the ends and converted them into top post terminals cause his batter terminals for the side post were striped out and not tightening
so his truck starts like new every time
thanks for the help and advice

Old 01-22-2012, 01:36 PM
TruckForum Addict

I'm glad you got it figured out

Old 01-24-2012, 05:25 PM
TruckForum Addict

well nullhead not quite everything worked on his truck when i tested it and drove it he got in it and started it his wipers wouldnt stop working they turned on as soon as the truck was started and everytime he hits his brake the radio stops working
ive went thru everything idid to it and i didnt cross any wires or anything so know im really stumped
any ideas i went thru and made sure everything was tight again also and then his wipers didnt turn on when the truck was started just that his radio goes off when the brakes are applied

Old 01-25-2012, 03:00 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Since the wipers is linked in with the ignition switch harness, I would try that.

Quick Reply: my brothers truck is haveing some real major issues