Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

my old 88 4X4 what to do with it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 12:16 PM
Default my old 88 4X4 what to do with it?

Hi to you all,

I have a 88 4X4 with a 350 and I have been having problems over the years with it starting. It seems that it will start run great turn it off and it will not start. Each time this does take place I would take it in and they would find some sensor that has gone bad change it out. The truck would run great two or so years then the same thing. What is going on?? I was thinking of haveing the truck restored but not if this is going to keep going on evey two or so years. Can one disconect the sensors & computer and run it with out the computer stuff?? Just like in the good old days. I would think I would need to take off the EFI throtle body and run a real carburetor but I would not mind that. What do you all think??

confused

Old 11-27-2010, 04:32 PM

I would not mess with, or change tbi system . Can not beat it while working.
On the sensors , and electrical system if you by the cheap stuff from these big chain of auto parts stores you will change every two years. If you can afford it get gm stuff.
Could you tell us what keeps going out? When it did go out did you get it cranked back?
Or did you have it towed in. Most of the times i had a problem was the pickup module , made in hong kong.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:34 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

You can revert to the old style carb and ignition system and its really not all that hard....but please tell us what keeps going out.
This will give us some ideas of what kind of problem you arw having.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:51 AM

I think I was talking out of frustration when I talked about pulling off all of the computer devices. I am old and gray and was just thinking how simple it was back in the day of leaded gas and no computers. Then I started to recall how often I need to do tunups and what ever. So I am back to the earth and will try again to get this truck running.

The returning and I am afraid perpetual problem has been this, but first you should note I do not run this truck but maybe once a week or so. Every two years at the start of the winter (Note I live in GA) during the 1st cold night (down to the 30's) the next day the truck will start but if you turn it off it will not start for about one day. When I say it will not start I mean no cranking no nothing just silence when you turn the key. But the horn works the lights work the wipers work all works but the engine will not turn over not even the starter. Now maybe you think it its the battery I replaced it. The chargeing system checks out as well. If it all goes like in the past I will go out side about noon today it will start and I will drive it to my services guy. More then likely to make a payment for his kids college education.

I was thinking of selling this 4X4 and buying a newer model.

So what do you think it is why does it do this oh and the last sensor was a GM part installed by GM.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:05 PM

Does your lights and gauges come on when you turn key to crank?

Old 11-29-2010, 05:35 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

well that sounds like a classic starter issue...is the heat shield on it? does it have any oil that has leaked onto it?........Its common when a starter gets "hot" from the exhaust the windings inside "swell" and lock the starter......then when it cools it will start back up.
the other possible issue could be a ignition module.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:14 AM

Well after 24 or so hours the truck will still not start. I am thinking starter as well and will be working on that this comeing weekend.

In answer to Chevychase "Does your lights and gauges come on when you turn key to crank?"

I do not recall so I went out to check. When I put the key in and turn it to on all works but when I try to crank all the lights go off and the gauges all return to zero. What dose that mean???

Tom

Old 12-01-2010, 07:59 PM

If you can take a terminal post off battery, clean all connections at starter , make sure their tight , see if that does it . you said every two years , don,t run much.
Seems a starter would last longer . I have a 91 never replaced starter.