Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

My truck is running like a dog

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 02:03 AM
TruckForum Addict
Default RE: My truck is running like a dog

Dude, crap on that. Drop a RB26DETT in there. Treat her right!

And I'll have you all know, it's been in the high 80's already here in Florida(wouldn't suprise me to know it surpassed 90).

Old 04-11-2008, 02:36 AM

ORIGINAL: 72charger
And I'll have you all know, it's been in the high 80's already here in Florida(wouldn't suprise me to know it surpassed 90).
From now on, I'm only going to communicate via photobucket.

Name:  thumbstfu6wv.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  29.5 KB

I'm jealous. It wasn't bad today here. Almost 60 degrees. I drank a few beers on the back deck and watch the tide go out. All in all, a good day.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:55 AM

It was snowing last week here in washington state and it will be 74 this weekend, this state is crazy. Hey do you think that maybe it's not your truck running slower, but its you getting used to the power. Happens to me all the time, i hate it. That motor looks sick, but it cost more then these trucks will ever be worth.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:03 AM

Ok I moved into my new(er) house and didn't finalize the paperwork yet. You see my Dad ownes it and cut me a deal with it but its practically in the city. Its small as hell but clean and has a decent sized garage. But Im not happy with it yo see.....

Yesterday Im standing on the back porch enjoying the warm weather.....then I hear sirens, kids playing and Im trying to enjoy the scenery. So I look forward, house. I look Left, house. Look right, house. No trees, view, nothin. I can't take it. I need at least a more "country-ish" neighborhood man. So now Im looking again.

I brought this up cause MajorSilva said:

"I'm jealous. It wasn't bad today here. Almost 60 degrees. I drank a few beers on the back deck and watch the tide go out. All in all, a good day."

Well Im jealous you at least have somthing to watch besides ghetto fabulous scenery.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:15 AM

No it not that im getting used to the power its loss a bunch in a couple of weeks it would down shift and just about break the tires loose at 30 now it dosnt even down shift it just go WUUUUUUU instead of WAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Old 04-11-2008, 09:29 AM
TruckForum Addict

ORIGINAL: rxsteven

No it not that im getting used to the power its loss a bunch in a couple of weeks it would down shift and just about break the tires loose at 30 now it dosnt even down shift it just go WUUUUUUU instead of WAAAAAAAAAAAAA
How incredibly descriptive. I thinkthis has allalready been said but I'd replace the fuel filter first and foremost, then go straight to the plugs and wires. Also don't forget to clean your MAF with the spray cleaner since you just reoiled the filter the other day. If it's still acting up after that I'd get a fuel pressure tester and see what kind of fuel pressure your getting at the fuel rail. Fuel pump might not be cutting it anymore or you could have a small leak somewhere and not realize it. Good luck with it Steve. If it get's you down in the dumps, just remember you haven't rounded out a head bolt on it yet.[&:]

Old 04-11-2008, 09:31 AM

It is ******* because it isn't getting the cold air which is more dense and in turn (via signals form the MAF to the PCM) will increase the long term fuel trims and give you more power. Thast why fuel mileage decreases in colder weather but the engines seem to run stronger. Once the weather stabilizes and stays around a certain temp, the truck will run a little better as it will have "learned" the propper spark advance and fuel trims. Like I said before I had to tweak my tune a little to get some of the spunk back my truck.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:43 AM

Yep I plan on doing the fuel filter, plugs and maf this weekend, Maybe ill take some pics and do a wright up on how to clean the maf for the new section. I hope that dose it. I dont think its because of the temp change it seams to drastic to be that simple. But who knows you might be right the ecu's in these truck a very sensitive it seam like. ou could touch it the wrong way and it will thow a code and scream HELP RAP!!!!!!

Old 04-11-2008, 09:45 AM
TruckForum Addict

Mine isn't having that problem and up until the last week or two, the temperatures were varying very drastically. Like near freezing at night, 70's during the middle of the day. I know that plays a part but not as much as he's talking about.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:01 AM

Im not talking like 10-15 hp drop, but if you hook up a data logger to the PCM on your truck and watch the fuel trims and timing and compare that to a 40-50 degree day I think you'll be suprised.

Plus another factor that plays a big part in the different mixtures of gas. Depending on where you live, running a "Winter Mix" fuel in warmer weather will cause a slight performance loss. But even the winter mixes can cause more tarnish in the fuel system than summer mixes. Increased humidity and colder temps usually mean more moisture has gotten in you fuel too

I dunno, I read a lot into this. Look it up. There are 10 million different thing that cause performance loss other than "spontaneous engine fart".

Tune it up, clean it up and forget about it.

Quick Reply: My truck is running like a dog