Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Chevy brake expert

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 03:35 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

Remember 60% of your braking power is in the front.....change the lines and try to trouble shoot the abs module

Old 05-27-2010, 06:57 AM
Beginner
Default brakes

Any suggestions on how to trouble shoot the ABS module?? I don't have much left to test or purchase. Even the chevy techs can't seem to help on the trouble shooting part when it comes to the modules or they don't know. Thanks for any help.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:10 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Here is a thread about what I was referring to. Hope it helps!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=389290

Old 05-27-2010, 07:13 AM
Old 05-28-2010, 10:29 PM
Beginner

Does anyone know if with this disc brake conversion on the rear will i need a different proportioning valve/combo valve. I was told by Kingtek that i would not need one, but with this spongy pedal i am begining to wonder. Any recommendations on combo/proportioning valve??? Again does anyone know how to test a combo valve to see if it is doing its job?? Thanks.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:30 PM
Beginner

I forgot to mention. The sites Mr_Shamrock recommended are great. Thanks.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:07 AM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by longdistance
Does anyone know if with this disc brake conversion on the rear will i need a different proportioning valve/combo valve. I was told by Kingtek that i would not need one, but with this spongy pedal i am begining to wonder. Any recommendations on combo/proportioning valve??? Again does anyone know how to test a combo valve to see if it is doing its job?? Thanks.
the proportioning valve should be alright to stay..........as far as testing them I dont know of a way

Old 05-30-2010, 01:58 PM
Beginner
Default brakes

I've got a thought. Tell me what you all think . The older cars had a master cylinder with lines to the wheel cylinders, (right). I personaly could care less about ABS crap. I don't care if it is ever hooked back up. I just want good brakes. I drove cars and truck for years without ABS and never had a problem driving.
If i eliminate all the ABS electronics can i just add a (combo/proportioning valve) and everything work fine???
Will i still need the (dump valve)???
I'm only asking questions on here about this issue. I hope someone has an answer. Thanks I'm still talking about my 93 Z71 Truck. Thanks again.

Old 05-30-2010, 02:15 PM

You can bypass the ABS with some hydraulic fittings. Our mechanic did a few of our trucks that way to get rid of the spongy brake pedal. I am not sure exactly what he did, but I know it was a couple new adapter fittings under the master cylinder.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:21 PM

I know this thread is a few months old, but I read something on another truck forum and thought this might help if your
still having this problem...(this was on a 93 Z71). Hope this is helpful.

My disc swap works great now! Turns out that I just needed to change the mc. I plumbed in a mc for a 2001 Yukon that came with factory four wheel disc. My pedal isn't spongy anymore, it's very firm and the truck will stop on a dime! My factory mc wasn't producing enough fluid volume for the rear calipers.

Quick Reply: Need Chevy brake expert