Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/)
-   -   need help with my truck asap (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/need-help-my-truck-asap-15715/)

cubpak89 02-06-2011 12:02 AM

need help with my truck asap

i have a 1988 chevy silverado 4x4 and its got a bit of a problem i think its my flasher relay not sure where it is located in my truck and also not sure if its the problem.
the problem when i use my right or left turn signal both of the turn signals go on. my brake lights and headlights and front turn signals work just fine. what could be the problem and can someone tell me how to fix it

cubpak89 02-06-2011 12:04 AM

if anyone wants to help that would be much apriciated

timber74wolf 02-06-2011 12:32 AM

Are you saying that your flashers do not blink?

hjfisk 02-06-2011 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by cubpak89 (Post 63756)
i have a 1988 chevy silverado 4x4 and its got a bit of a problem i think its my flasher relay not sure where it is located in my truck and also not sure if its the problem.
the problem when i use my right or left turn signal both of the turn signals go on. my brake lights and headlights and front turn signals work just fine. what could be the problem and can someone tell me how to fix it

If the fronts are working ok it sounds more like a bad ground in the rear of the truck, meaning either the left or right tailamp has a bad ground, your brake lights and running lights would not be effected , because they come on simultaneously, easintally what is happening is the side with the bad ground is back feeding the harness to the other light looking for a ground when this happens it {electricity passes through the other bulb thus lighting it] check your grounds, also wouldn't be the flasher if the fronts work

cubpak89 02-06-2011 10:56 AM

turn signal

no i what i mean is that if i use my right turn signal both of my turn signals come on and flash same as if i used the left

chrisbmo2000 02-06-2011 11:01 AM

sounds like a ground issue also it could be a bad signal switch........the flasher is fine, flashers dont cause that type of problem. are they flashing at the same brightness and at the same time? If not then it is a ground issue. If they are then its probably your signal switch or wiring issue. A few more details would be great

cubpak89 02-06-2011 11:40 AM

re turn signal

so how do i fix the ground problem and also more details is that the turn signals do work but both of them when i use the left or right also my fuel gauge doesnt want to work. but im more concerned about the turn signals so do i got to take off my tail light cover and reground the wires or what do i need to do

cubpak89 02-06-2011 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by chrisbmo2000 (Post 63774)
sounds like a ground issue also it could be a bad signal switch........the flasher is fine, flashers dont cause that type of problem. are they flashing at the same brightness and at the same time? If not then it is a ground issue. If they are then its probably your signal switch or wiring issue. A few more details would be great

yes they flash at the same time and brightness

hjfisk 02-07-2011 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by cubpak89 (Post 63777)
so how do i fix the ground problem and also more details is that the turn signals do work but both of them when i use the left or right also my fuel gauge doesnt want to work. but im more concerned about the turn signals so do i got to take off my tail light cover and reground the wires or what do i need to do

You need to go up under the back of the truck and find where your wiring is grounded, and either reground it or clean up the existing grounds, this is an older truck so I'm pretty sure it is not immune to rust and bad grounds pretty common problem on older vehicles

cubpak89 02-07-2011 07:05 PM

re turn signal

ill have ti try that tomorrow or the next day