Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

need help with my truck asap

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 12:02 AM
TruckForum Addict
Default need help with my truck asap

i have a 1988 chevy silverado 4x4 and its got a bit of a problem i think its my flasher relay not sure where it is located in my truck and also not sure if its the problem.
the problem when i use my right or left turn signal both of the turn signals go on. my brake lights and headlights and front turn signals work just fine. what could be the problem and can someone tell me how to fix it

Old 02-06-2011, 12:04 AM
TruckForum Addict

if anyone wants to help that would be much apriciated

Old 02-06-2011, 12:32 AM
TruckForum Addict

Are you saying that your flashers do not blink?

Old 02-06-2011, 07:52 AM
Beginner

Originally Posted by cubpak89
i have a 1988 chevy silverado 4x4 and its got a bit of a problem i think its my flasher relay not sure where it is located in my truck and also not sure if its the problem.
the problem when i use my right or left turn signal both of the turn signals go on. my brake lights and headlights and front turn signals work just fine. what could be the problem and can someone tell me how to fix it
If the fronts are working ok it sounds more like a bad ground in the rear of the truck, meaning either the left or right tailamp has a bad ground, your brake lights and running lights would not be effected , because they come on simultaneously, easintally what is happening is the side with the bad ground is back feeding the harness to the other light looking for a ground when this happens it {electricity passes through the other bulb thus lighting it] check your grounds, also wouldn't be the flasher if the fronts work

Old 02-06-2011, 10:56 AM
TruckForum Addict
Default turn signal

no i what i mean is that if i use my right turn signal both of my turn signals come on and flash same as if i used the left

Old 02-06-2011, 11:01 AM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

sounds like a ground issue also it could be a bad signal switch........the flasher is fine, flashers dont cause that type of problem. are they flashing at the same brightness and at the same time? If not then it is a ground issue. If they are then its probably your signal switch or wiring issue. A few more details would be great

Old 02-06-2011, 11:40 AM
TruckForum Addict
Default re turn signal

so how do i fix the ground problem and also more details is that the turn signals do work but both of them when i use the left or right also my fuel gauge doesnt want to work. but im more concerned about the turn signals so do i got to take off my tail light cover and reground the wires or what do i need to do

Old 02-06-2011, 11:42 AM
TruckForum Addict

Originally Posted by chrisbmo2000
sounds like a ground issue also it could be a bad signal switch........the flasher is fine, flashers dont cause that type of problem. are they flashing at the same brightness and at the same time? If not then it is a ground issue. If they are then its probably your signal switch or wiring issue. A few more details would be great
yes they flash at the same time and brightness

Old 02-07-2011, 02:55 PM
Beginner

Originally Posted by cubpak89
so how do i fix the ground problem and also more details is that the turn signals do work but both of them when i use the left or right also my fuel gauge doesnt want to work. but im more concerned about the turn signals so do i got to take off my tail light cover and reground the wires or what do i need to do
You need to go up under the back of the truck and find where your wiring is grounded, and either reground it or clean up the existing grounds, this is an older truck so I'm pretty sure it is not immune to rust and bad grounds pretty common problem on older vehicles

Old 02-07-2011, 07:05 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default re turn signal

ill have ti try that tomorrow or the next day

Quick Reply: need help with my truck asap