Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

need help narrowing down some problems i have

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 11:39 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default need help narrowing down some problems i have

i have just gone completley mad over my truck the last few days she has pissed me off more times then i can count in the last week
first about a monthago my altenator wuit workin beaings inside were shot wouldnt spin like it should so i caughed up the 140 for the new heavy duty works great
know after hauling about a ton a day my battery light flickers on and off my service light does the same. the lights come on at the same time then off at the same time
i had the local mech check the altanator with is testor it was good its putting out 14.4 volts as it should
also my fuel gauge doesnt work local mech told me it may be the ground on the bed is bad
i thaught maybe it was the float inside the tank that wa bad so i stoped and asked him im not ase cert but i no cars and trucks as i have worked on them since i was about 10
so maybe some one can help me narrow down the problems
i have checked all the body grounds and chassis grounds you can think of minus the fuel pump ground as i my truck is old and has alot of wiring ran to the back for trailor lights
i took the front clip completely off and sanded down every little thing that the grounds went to
and yes they are tight
i dont have anything other than a cb hooked up to my truck
also my reverse lights are out found that out when i got a warning from my local cop
so if anyone has a diagram they could share or some knowlage i dont please share thanks

Old 05-11-2011, 11:17 AM

I'm interpreting that your truck does not have a voltmeter on the dash?
What if you temporarily wired up a meter so that when your battery and service lights come on next time you could see if your new alternator is having a hiccup?

Old 05-11-2011, 12:53 PM
Beginner

Do you have an aftermarket alarm system on your truck? Sometimes after a couple of years that can start causing problems and have you chasing electrical gremlins. If you do have one, disconnect it from the battery and see if your problems go away.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:10 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Check the wiring going to the alternator. The gas gauge is usually the sender itself (in the tank). You can check the ground next to the tank on the frame, but I believe that is only for the pump. For the reverse ights I would start at the tailight and check for power to the bulb, if it does not have power then start tracing baclwards. You state that you have additional trailer wiring - you might have a bad connection somewhere in there. Also, I am not sure what year your truck is, but some taillights had issues with the circuit boards in the light assembly.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:15 PM
TruckForum Addict

Originally Posted by glterpening
I'm interpreting that your truck does not have a voltmeter on the dash?
What if you temporarily wired up a meter so that when your battery and service lights come on next time you could see if your new alternator is having a hiccup?
my truck has the stock volt meter in the dash and i had the altenator checked out at orielys but i can have someone else take a look

Old 05-11-2011, 03:18 PM
TruckForum Addict

Originally Posted by Mr_Shamrock
Check the wiring going to the alternator. The gas gauge is usually the sender itself (in the tank). You can check the ground next to the tank on the frame, but I believe that is only for the pump. For the reverse ights I would start at the tailight and check for power to the bulb, if it does not have power then start tracing baclwards. You state that you have additional trailer wiring - you might have a bad connection somewhere in there. Also, I am not sure what year your truck is, but some taillights had issues with the circuit boards in the light assembly.
thanks Shamrock its an 88 im not sure of the circuit board either i will look at all of it tomorrow as it is raining here and i dont have a garage also i will check the wires goin to the altenator i found out that the symptoms of the volt gauge and check engine light only come on when the engine is running hot at 210 or in the middle where it should which leads me to believe maybe my engine is gettin to hot and the themp gauge reads as if it should but when i open the hood its like 300 degrees undere there

Last edited by cubpak89; 05-11-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:28 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Yeah the 88's were the first year for the circuit boards that burn up. There is probably at least one ground wire that goes to the thermostat housing bolt - give it a look. Definitely get that heating issue inspected. Good luck!

Old 05-11-2011, 08:37 PM
Default needs some help please...

i have a 98 chevy silv. z71 5.7v its newly rebuilt went to crank it and it wouldnt start, poured gas in the throttle body and runs till the gas ran out, replaced the starter, fuel pump gives 65 psi what do i do???? me and my dad r running out of things to try and look at..

Old 05-12-2011, 11:34 AM
TruckForum Addict

Originally Posted by chevy4x4girl
i have a 98 chevy silv. z71 5.7v its newly rebuilt went to crank it and it wouldnt start, poured gas in the throttle body and runs till the gas ran out, replaced the starter, fuel pump gives 65 psi what do i do???? me and my dad r running out of things to try and look at..
check your coil wire my truck didnt want to start one day due to the coil wire insulation was no good it kept arching out on the coil itself also check your inline fuel filter and sending unit also make sure the battery cables are tight
also check your fuel lines make sure there is no clogs
but mainly check your coil wire its the one on the distributer that is the smallest one it will go to your distributer then to a coil just a little under the air cleaner

Old 05-14-2011, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by chevy4x4girl
where did you hook up the gas psi gauge? from the gas line under the hood or by the tank? if you did the one under the hood then you can pretty much eliminate the filter. i would check the little jets in the tbi they might be clogged/dirty and are not injecting enough gas to let the motor run. you can check the coil thing like said above but if it ran by putting gas in the tbi then you can pretty much eliminate that too... i would try cleaning the injectors, if im no mistakin those are in the intake which is kinda a bitch to change. moral of the story, to me it sounds like bad injector(s)

Quick Reply: need help narrowing down some problems i have