Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

need info on 18" aftermarket rims

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 05:58 AM
Default need info on 18" aftermarket rims

bought a used 09 hd. has dc chrome rims on it and 1 is alittle out of round and will not balance worth a crap. really looking for 18" stock rims but there isint any out there. so now looking at 18" aftermarket. question is who makes a quality , strong rim, not to expensive but not wanting to have issue with being out of round from the manufacturer.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:57 PM

not one person

Old 09-11-2011, 09:48 PM
TruckForum Addict

Sorry, I tend to run stock rims. I'd say consult a tire shop and see what they say. They might be able to get you a replacement rim for that one wheel, instead of you having to buy a whole set.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:33 PM
TruckForum Addict

like null head said consult a tire shop
or i would try to search craigslist for 18s even if they have tires already on them they can be removed for you to use just make sure he rims are the same dimensions as whats on your truck now

Old 09-12-2011, 06:35 AM

i would prefer the stock rims also but have been looking at ebay and craiglist and there not out there. (18") unless i can find some ill have to go with the xd series or moto metal.. stock are the best and have the proper offset (-28) for the truck.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:13 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

There are plenty of aftermarket wheels out there to choose from. There are just too many designs to start recommending them to you. It is all personal taste so do a search for rims and find a set you like. As far as strength - unless you are doing some serious offroading or rock climbing any of them should suffice. If you hit a curb hard enough you can bend any rim though.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:42 AM

is it that big of a problem that the -28 offset isint the same. most aftermarket rims are anywhere from 0 to -24

Old 09-13-2011, 07:36 AM

Not really, you just want to stay close to the original to avoid rubbing, but most people want a rim that looks like it fills the wheel well better so a little bit more in the neg. direction accomplishes that. As long as you aren't trying to stuff some huge tire in there you will be fine.

Last edited by Mr_Shamrock; 09-14-2011 at 06:49 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:36 AM

talked to aguy from discount tire about the negative offset , hetold me its not -28 , its 28 or 29, no negative. anybody know what it is on original tire?

Old 09-14-2011, 06:46 AM

You are right I stand corrected I had it backwards (it's been a while since I have messed with +/- offset). The factory wheels will be positive offset.
It has nothing to do with the tire. Zero offset would be if the back side of the rim's mounting surface was exactly in the middle of the rim. If it is towards the face of the wheel then you have positive offset and vice versa. Here is a picture to visualize it.

So with that in mind you should be able to remove a wheel and measure the distance of the mounting surface from the center point of the rim to get your offset measurement.

Quick Reply: need info on 18" aftermarket rims