Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need some advice what to do save and get a new trans

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 06:12 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default need some advice what to do save and get a new trans

ok so my trans went out the other day
i have called around to a bunch of places on prices
oreillys auto parts has new 4l60e for around 1200-1500 and the core is 500 so i would get that back
they also have the master rebuild kit for 280.99

would it be better to just get the new trans with no miles on it
or should i go with the rebuild kit and keep the trans i have with over 215,000 on it
i would go with the new trans but cannot afford that at all
but if i saved up around 200 each friday i would be able to do it within 2 months but i cannot do that as i have bills
i can afford the 280 but i was told by several trans shops they wont allow you to bring your own parts in i guess they have to make there money somehow and they wouldnt be able to warrenty the trans then
so what do you guys and gals think i should do
if i cannot save up and get the trans i would be going with the rebuild kit if i wouldnt be able to afford that i might put it up on craigslist as a parts only truck i would be pulling the engine and giving it to my brother for his 94 as he burns oil real bad and i would be giving him my brush guard and tires
so before i go down that road should i save and by the new trans
or should i just get a rebuild kit
thanks in advance

Old 05-27-2011, 07:17 PM
Beginner

Have you tried some auto wreckers for a used? Some might even give a short warranty. Still old and used but beats walking.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:53 PM
TruckForum Addict

thanks dave i will look into ones from a junkyard or wrecker service
i have had bad experiances with some of the parts i get from them
i had baught a used fuel pump with sending unit for my car and it didnt work at all so i braught it back and they said there warrenty was if it dont work we will find you or buy you one that did
im still waiting for them to find me a new one 6 months later i jsut broke down and baught new
and ive had wiper motors and window regulators be bad also
i will look into it im just affraid of payin 500 for a used and it not working
i called a couple more shopes today they said it would be around 900 to rebuild and my buddys dad might rebuild it for less
thanks again
also i dont mind walkin every once and a while but when it comes to hauling stuff for 120 miles or more a day i really need the truck

also im thinking of haveing the gearing changed in it for towing as the trans is bone stock and the guy i baught it from says he used it to haul around a 24 foot trailor and 3 skidloaders
so might have it regeared while its open

Old 05-27-2011, 08:05 PM
Beginner

24 foot trailer with 3 skid steers? With a half-ton pick-up? 215,000 miles? No wonder the tranny croaked!

Old 05-27-2011, 08:10 PM
TruckForum Addict

lol i know right the guy had just gotten the services dont on it before he sold it but i really doubt it any good mechanic should have noticed this when they drained teh trans fluid and seen how burnt it was before puttin a new fluid in lol im mad but i am over it cause its my own fauult for not driving it around more before buyin it lol anyway
yeah my brothers truck is a 94 ext cab gmc siera z71 and the guy he baught his from did the same thing but his is set up for towing as in lower gears
so i may have mine rebuilt for towing with lower gearing in it

Old 05-28-2011, 08:06 PM
TruckForum Addict

If you can get it rebuilt for 900 or less then go that route, but does that include a Beast Sunshell and metal pistons? And when you sat regear it are you refering to the rearend being regeared?

Old 05-28-2011, 09:06 PM
TruckForum Addict

Originally Posted by timber74wolf
If you can get it rebuilt for 900 or less then go that route, but does that include a Beast Sunshell and metal pistons? And when you sat regear it are you refering to the rearend being regeared?
what i ment to say was have a shif kit installed for pulling trailors
also i am goin to have the trans completly 100% rebuilt
and yes different gearing in my rear end also
right know the stock gearing is 3.42
i want to put the 3.73 or 4.10 gearing in
as far as beast sunshell i guess im not sure what you mean
and as far as metal pistons inside the trans i would go with that if i could afford it

Old 05-29-2011, 10:26 PM
TruckForum Addict

The beast sunshell is an upgrade that holds the planetary gears or the clutch bands. Any tranny shop will tell you to go with 1 versus the OEM 1. The metal pistons are not that much. Go with the Transco Shift kit. The full kit not just the shift reprogram kit.

Last edited by timber74wolf; 05-29-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:08 AM
TruckForum Addict

thanks i will do that when i talk to them

Old 05-30-2011, 01:32 AM
TruckForum Addict

well my dad yesterday also suggested that the problem was my tbi gasket has a leak so were gonna check that tomorrow
i am sure its the trans but also if it is leaking i do know to much air flow will cause the same symptoms
again they are when in overdrive it spits and sputters going from 2-3
and then i put it in drive and it worked ok for a couple of days then it started doing it in drive
i have dont the following replacement with new parts from borg warner
replace temp sensor by the inlet on the top of engine
replaced all of the spark plugs and wires and cap
replaced the idle air control valve
they all helped with the idle issue of it dieing out in idle and while driveing
but it didnt help with the problem while driving
as it still spits and sputters if im driving at speeds above 45 i
the truck spits and sputters until i give it gas by that i mean put the pedal to the medal then it stops the spitting and sputtering
i did run a fuel pressure test and it is at the proper psi at idel and in drive
as it is low pressure as shamrock pointed out to me earlier on a post i had
thanks by the way
so anyway i am stumped i will be replaceing the tbi gasket anyway just to see if it helps
if that doesnt help i am gonna be stumped
so any suggestions on what else to look at before i go spend the 900 or more to have the trans rebuilt would greatly be apriciated
and if its the trans i will be going with the beast sunshell and metal pistons so the trans will last longer then the rest of the truck will
but until then i will be ordering replacement cab corners rockers and brakes for the truck mind as well get it looking better while it sits on my carport while i make the hard decision of cut my loses and part it out or save to have it fixed
but i have learned a valuble leasson on this buy never will i buy from the east side where i live and i will drive the truck around more then what i did maybe 2 or 3 miles
thanks in advance
btw the names craig