Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

needing help with my v6 swap to v8 in my c1500

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 03:22 PM
Beginner
Default needing help with my v6 swap to v8 in my c1500

hey every body im new hear i need some help on doing a v6 swap to a v8 i have 4.3 v6 tbi and i have a 350 sbc tbi the v6 is in my chevy now and i wanna do the v8 swap i need to know what all is going to need to be done to perform this feat i now i need a a 350 computer witch i have but i need to now what all is going to need to be replace and what is all going to fit from the v6 and will the v6 radiator cool the v8 in a texas summer so if anybody will give me some details or just get me started anything will be greatly appreciated

Old 02-24-2012, 10:58 PM
TruckForum Addict

I would say you'll need basically all new equipment. Unless the rad. is the same size as a V8 radiator, replace it. You'll need a wiring harness for the V8 ECU, you could need to move the engine mounts (I could be wrong). The V6 likely sets farther back inside the engine compartment than the V8 does, so you might need to move the mounts.

I think the alternators are different from V6 to V8. You'll probably need the V8 air cleaner, TBI and injectors.

I've never done this, but these are just my thoughts.

Easiest way: Drop in new RAD, viscus cooling fan setup, carb the SBC, and figure out how to setup the fuel system with a mechanical pump. I think your 4.3L fuel pump will put out way too much pressure for a carb.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:39 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

It is actually a fairly straight forward swap. The 4.3 and 5.7 share all the same accessories. The motor mounts are the same as well. You will need A 5.7 chip, complete throttle body, fan shroud, and probably some other odds and ends, but nothing major. I think the radiator will be fine as well. Good luck!

Old 02-25-2012, 05:59 PM
TruckForum Addict

Awesome! I had no idea it was that easy.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:51 PM
Beginner

thanks for the replys guys i have a complete 350 motor just sent it to the machince shop, and i have the 350 computer from the truck i took the 350 out of im going to start on it soon thanks for the help much thanks

Old 02-28-2012, 01:53 PM
Beginner

will keep updated on evrything and will post start to finsh pics and is the any way to get better gas milage out of the 350 ive been told that u can dual pipe it and cold air intake but that provides more horse power wouldent that take away gas milege

Old 02-28-2012, 07:06 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Don't believe the hype on the cold air intakes. The factory set-up is more than sufficient.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:38 PM
Beginner

ok i didnt think so i was skeptic on the cold air intake and i i like th tought of dule pipes thats cuz me and my son love loud trucks lol is there anythink u would recommend on better gas milage im not looking for fantastic gasmilage i wouldnt be driving a truck if i wonted that but dont get me lieing i love horse power but better gas is better than right now atleast till gas goes down

Old 02-28-2012, 10:46 PM
Beginner

i would have just carbed the truck to save the head ache but its still a dayly driver and texas admishions are a pain
but if i can figue out how hard it is to put electronic fans in i mite do that instead of byeing a fan shroud but just byeing a fan shround is more than likly gona be cheaper than the electronic fan advinture

Old 02-28-2012, 11:05 PM
Beginner

yall wouldt happen to know to install a electric fan on my chevy or would it be better to stay with my belt driven fan

Quick Reply: needing help with my v6 swap to v8 in my c1500