Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nelson tune vs programmer

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 06:56 PM
Default Nelson tune vs programmer

My searches on this forum have revealed multiple options as far as tuning my truck. I'd like to see what the majority of you think. I have an 03 silverado z71, with the 4.8L. By the time I am ready for tuning, I will have flowmaster super44 single in dual out, Volant CAI with RAM tube, & electric fan replacing factory belt driven fan. I am trying to decide what to do about tuning, at that point.
Diablosport Predator?
Nelson tune?
other custom tune?
other programmer?

I would like to stay at or around $500 or under. Any advise appreciated!

Mike

Old 10-08-2008, 10:55 PM
Default RE: Nelson tune vs programmer

NELSON!

Old 10-09-2008, 07:17 AM

Nelson

Old 10-09-2008, 08:06 AM

Nelson - If you want it done right the first time. You get the tune, swap the PCM and you are done. From what I understand you get great performance, same if not better MPG and hassle free operation. Runs about $100 or so more than a Predator.

Predator - If you want to experiment and be able to change engine parameters at will, than do this one. Good note is that you can get the same performance from this as a Nelson tune, BUT.....well lets put it this way, I spent almost all summer trying to get my truck the way I want it. It does run great however. The guys a Diablosport are very helpful and are willing to tweak your tunes for you as long as you have a Serial to USB link cable ($5 at Radio Shack). I had them remove all the Torque Managment that the PCM coding would allow without completly removing it, and they modified the 93 octane tune for the setup I have. It was free too.

ALSO..........

Trinity - (Same people who do the Predator) Same setup as Predator but now you have real-time data viewing / logging and more options to tune including a MPG tune with 2 different octanes. This runs a little more than the Nelson tune. Probably somewhere around $500. It is sweet tho, has a screen that mounts to the dash that give you real time data like fuel trims, spark advance/retard, estimated MPG, etc........

Dyno tune - Most expensive option (or at least the second most expensive) but there is simply no better way to get the full potential from your engine and engine modifications.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:24 AM

I go wth Nelson. I haven't heard serious problems about it.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:01 PM

First of all where are you located? There are other tuners than Nelson. If you have to get a mail order, there's no doubt his is the way to go. If you're close enough to someone for a live tune - that can be better depending on the tuner.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:55 PM

I got a live tune and it rocks! The guy that tuned my truck hooked up his stuff and took it for a drive and did the tune off of the data he got from the drive.

Old 10-11-2008, 12:53 PM

I got my exhaust this week! I ended up getting the flowmaster 40 series instead of the super44, on the recommendation of the exhaust man.Single in Dual out, with 5 inch tips. It sounds AWESOME!!!

Hopefully next month I'll be able to get the electric fan and Volant CAI.

I live in rural east texas. I am about 3 1/2 - 4 hours from Nelson, and about 1 1/2 - 2 hours from Dallas.

Don't know of any tuners in my area, but Dallas is not to far for me to drive if it's worth it.

But, won't a live, custom tune put me way over my budget? I don't know, this is my first go-round with performance stuff on a vehicle with a computer.

Old 10-11-2008, 04:33 PM

There are a few guys here in Dallas that can tune it. PM me if you're interested. It will be well under the $500 you mentioned.

Old 10-11-2008, 06:03 PM

Yankee,
Thanks! I PMed you.

Quick Reply: Nelson tune vs programmer