Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to forum

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 06:39 AM
Default New to forum

Glad I found this forum, by far the most helpful around!

Just got my chevy around 3 months ago after trying what toyota had to offer.(still can't figure why I did that.) At any rate it, there ain't nothin like a chevy!

Was hoping someone could offer some opinions. The first 2 mods on my list are a CAI w/TBS and exaust, can't do both at the same time.(story of my life-ha,ha.) Which one of the 2 do you guys think will make the most noticable difference. Thanks for the help.

Old 04-19-2007, 06:46 AM
TruckForum Addict
Default RE: New to forum

Have you considered some of the free mods? What engine do you have?

Old 04-19-2007, 06:55 AM
TruckForum Addict

I created this post a while back. Here are some of the free mods you can do to these trucks. Hope this helps:......

First off, I wanna say that doing these mods on your vehicle will not give you "seat of the pants" performance. They won't"pin your head to the seat", or make you smoke Corvettes. But, neither do the aftermarket alternatives.

Now, with that being said, these mods WILL give you noticeable performance gains, and better fuel mileage. These are mods that I have tried, and I wouldn't recommend them ifI thought they weren't worth doing. They are simple mods that you can do in your driveway in a reasonable amount of time with basic hand tools and common sense. They are for 1999-2007's.

1. "Redneck Ram-Air"- Take your stock airbox out and cut a hole in the front portion (facing the headlight), under the joint where the filter sits. You can do this with an ordinary household drill. BE CAREFULL NOT TO CUT TOO CLOSE TO THE JOINT WHERE THE TOP PORTION OF THE AIRBOX ATTACHES!!! Make sure you clean out all the plastic shavings before reassembly. For best results,I highly recommend a high-flowdrop in air filter such as a K&N. I think Auto Zone sells them for around $50. These air filters are lifetime filters that you only clean when they need to be cleaned. When you go to the track (or around town), you can take the passenger side headlight out and have a free Ram-Air setup. It will help bring cool air in the engine (especially at highway speeds). Money saved-$300 compared to the Vera
Ram system. Even more if compared to a ram air hood.

2. "Mass Air Flow Sensor ScreenRemoval"- To do this, you just loosen the clamps around the sensor with a flathead screwdriver, slide the tube to the side and then remove the sensor from the airbox. CAREFULLY unclip and remove theconnection. With the sensor screen side down, VERY CAREFULLY push the screen out with the end of something (Craftsman ratchet handle works well), MAKE SUE YOU DO NOT HIT THE SENSOR WIRES!!! Put it back together and be sure to securely fasten the connection and air tube. Money saved- $300-compared to an aftermarket MAF sensor.

3. "Air Gap Manifold"- Locatedunderneath the
throttle body[i],under the intake manifold and above the lifter valley,there is a little insulating pad that helps cold starting and warmup. In environments were this is not needed, it can be removed, it's your decision. Just unhook your intake hose from the throttle body, move it up and out of the way, and you'll see it. On the back side of your engine, there is another one. Just climb up there, reach around, and pull it out. This one won't come out as easily, but it's still not too hard. Next, remove your engine cover from the top of your engine. There is about 3/8" of insulation on the underside that is good for cold weather, but that's it. These can comeoff andgo backon andgo in and outany time you want.The cover has a bolt on the top and little clips on the back. Money saved- N/A, to the best of my knowledge, nobody makes an Air Gap manifold for the LS1 series engine.

4. "Throttle Body Coolant Bypass"- On the bottom side of your throttle body, there are two hoses. These hoses bring hot coolant through your throttle body and like the pads, assist in cold weather startup. Do you realize how much better your truck runs when it's cold

Old 04-19-2007, 12:12 PM

I'd go with the CAI and TBS first.

Old 04-19-2007, 06:40 PM

Definately CAI and TBS forst as well as the free mods. What is the point of trying to get more air out if you are not putting more in? Know what I mean.

Old 04-19-2007, 06:49 PM

I agree, CAI and TBS first, then exhaust. Air and exhaust is the foundation of all performance mods.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:37 AM

Thanks for the list of free mods, gonna de-screen the MAF as soon as I get some extra time. Glad you listed that as a Granatelli MAF was on my list of stuff to buy.

As far as the CAI w/TBS, I've been looking at the Volant and the Helix Power Tower Plus. Anything else I should check out? It never hurts to save a little $$.

Oh yeah forgot to put that I have the 4.8 on my signature.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:59 AM

Welcome and good luck, these guys will get you fixed up in no time.

Old 04-20-2007, 01:03 AM

The trans dap (I always misspell it) is supposed to give same performance, but at $50 instead of 90-100. The volant is awesome, I prefer the completely sealed aspect.

Old 04-20-2007, 01:21 AM

Thanks for the welcome.

Gonna check and see if summit has the trans dap, sounds like a much more reasonable price. The volant is a little pricey but I've heard good things. I think S&B also has a sealed box design. Anyone have any experience with S&B?

Quick Reply: New to forum