Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

new to the forum, looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 09:52 PM
Default new to the forum, looking for advice

how's it going, i have a '03 silverado Z71. i've added a volant intake and airraid (sp) TBS....both have seemed to increase power, and they sound very nice. now i need to upgrade the exhaust. i've been thinking bout a standard magnaflow system. or going "extreme" buying some headers and doing a true dual exhaust from the header all the way back...with the exit right in front of each tire.....ideas, advice, tips, experience, it's all welecomed and appreciated

Old 06-22-2009, 01:09 AM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Sounds nice. But just dont go too big on the diameter of your exhaust. No more than 2 1/2". As discussed in other forums, these motors need back pressure to perform at optimum. Having it loud does not mean it will be faster. Coming from factory these motors are tuned from the intake all the way to the tip of the tail pipe. So if you change out the flow on the intake or exhaust, the only way to see true results is to also tune the computer.
There are several combos to these motors, but KEEP BACK PRESSURE. Trust me it helps. Free flowing will only help top end but you need bottom end to get there first. I have been experimenting with venturi's and have been impressed how just a couple bucks for 1 foot of piping can help so much in increasing torque.

Last edited by RUFFNECK4LYFE; 06-22-2009 at 01:14 AM.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:32 AM

yes back pressure creates torque, torque creates going faster sooner and towing/hauling more weight easier. so woud you say true dual exhaust even at 2 1/2" would be to open? some kind of performance chip is also on the to do list after i get back from deployment....any suggestion on what chip? i was thinking JET....big name haven't heard bad things.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:34 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Custom tune is the only way to go. I highly recommend Black Bear Performance, but there are a few companies out there now. It will be specifically tuned to your truck with the mods you have and if you ever change something you just send it in and they will change the tune for you.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:29 AM

Yeah custom tune is the best way to go. When you talk to the guy who will tune the ECM, he will ask you what bolt ons are done to the vehicle and whether you want performance or economy. Plus their tunings are smart. The ECM will automatically adjust for the octane gas used at the time. Handheld tuners like Hypertech or Jets, you will have to reconfigure for either 87 or 91. What it means is the timing is adjusted. Running supreme will need timing advance and that in turn will give more power, throttle response, and a little bit more fuel economy. Remember some of these motors are already built to have 9.5 to 1 compression ratio from the factory. Just depends what year model and type of motor.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:43 PM

I have the Flowmaster SI/DO cat back system and love it. I've always been a fan of the Flowmaster sound.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:34 PM
Default I 2nd bigredmariner's remark

I too have a Flowmaster single in , dual out catback system on my '03 Silverado, and it sounds pretty good too, but not extreme so i cannot get an inspection sticker. A local muffler shop did mine for $300.00 i believe, with chrome tips included. I have a K&N FIPK CAI, and thats all the mods. I have the 4.8L engine. Just my .02 worth, Jim

Old 06-22-2009, 08:45 PM
Thumbs up

i dont know nothin about computerized automobiles but i do know i appreciate you going over seas and fighting to keep this a free country THANKS A MILLION

Old 06-22-2009, 11:22 PM

I second that!!! Many thx for our freedom!!

Old 06-23-2009, 12:32 AM

i understand the differences a little. but i'm not trying to go to extreme with the truck. i know this might differ from what i asked about the exhaust, but i'm trying to keep it low budget. so would a jet or similiar chip be good to go for everyday street use? when my GF gets her colorado, i might go with the custom tune.

Quick Reply: new to the forum, looking for advice