Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

New Guy asking For Advise

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 09:38 PM
Beginner
Default New Guy asking For Advise

Hey Everyone, First of all, Happy New Year to everyone here. Im New on this forum and heres what I want to find out real quick. I have a 1993 chevy silverado C1500 ext. cab pickup. I have plans for this truck as a personal project. I always loved chevy pickups of thier designs. But heres the thing. I have a 350 engine in my truck, but My truck has a slight miss to it. It seems as if a spark plug is not firing, cause the exhaust smells like rich fuel going through. Theres also a slight knocking to the engine to that concerns me. it doesnt sound like a piston rod knocking on the crank shaft, but there is a knocking to the engine when the engine warms up.

I want to swap out the engine for another 350 engine block. so I ask, can I just pull out another complete 350 engine out of anuther car/truck for say a 1974 chevy el camino and put it in my truck and only swap over my TBI carb., or do i have to swap everything like the serpetine belt drive, etc. to a 350 block.

I would like to do a straight across swap and keep the old style v-belt drive, then for me to swap a 350 engine, and swap over all the serpetine acc. and parts. I know I have to keep the TBI carb, and EGR, but i was just wondering. over here in fresno, you get lucky at times for newer 350 engines in tack, not touched, but mostly they're always missing crucial parts, but you do find alot of the old 350 engines. Any help would be great. Thanx

Old 01-01-2012, 03:35 PM

If you swap an engine you have to keep everything that was on that engine but if the engine comes with a serp belt a serp belt has to go back onto it,

thats kind of like putting V6 manifolds on a V8 engine, it just wont work

but yeah you can swap engines easily but also be aware of the transmission bell housing bolt patterns around the flywheel too. you can have a great engine but will do you no good if the transmission wont bolt to it.

Also you said your engine seems like its running rich and misfiring? have you tried turning the distributor a bit to time it or maybe its just time for a tuneup with a new cap and rotor for the distributor and spark plugs and wires, personally these small easy things are much easier than swapping an entire engine