Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

No Go!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 07:52 PM
Default No Go!!

Alright ever have one of those isolated issues and when you start talking about it, it turns out that everyone has had the same issue?

Turn the key. Nothing! Nadda'! Zilch!! That was weird! Turn the key. Fires right up! Fine for a couple days; then turn the key and "Nothing!". I hate intermittent issues!

So; I start asking and every second person says, "Oh yeah, my Chevy did that." "Oh yeah, my GM did that." "Dealership changed the ignition for $400". "Dealership changed my ignition keys for $350". "Dealership changed a computer component for $900".

The security system in the initial stages of failure! Something about the ignition key, "circuit 229", VATS, ECM/PCM and fuel enable circuit.

Someone please enlighten me and tell me about the security system bypass you can build or buy to alleviate this problem.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:57 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

What year truck?

Old 06-21-2011, 08:01 PM

Oh yeah! 2000 Sierra 5.3 auto

Old 06-21-2011, 08:03 PM

Is the security light flashing on the dash when it doesn't start? You might need to do a security relearn.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mr_Shamrock
Is the security light flashing on the dash when it doesn't start? You might need to do a security relearn.

I'll check the light the next time it happens! How do you perform a security re-learn?

Old 06-21-2011, 08:12 PM

Turn the key to the on position without trying to crank it, the security light should be flashing. Leave it like that until the light stops flashing (it can take up to 15 minutes). Turn the key off for about 10 seconds and then turn it back on repeating the same as above. Do this 3 times and on the 3rd time when the light stops flashing start the truck up. I hope this helps.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:17 PM

Wow Shamrock; thanks!

I'm going to write this down and keep it in the truck for the next occurrence.

Hope this works!

Thanks again!

Dan

Old 06-21-2011, 08:19 PM

From my experience when this system is having an issue the truck will turn over, but just not start. If your truck isn't doing anything I would be leaning towards an ignition switch or other issue.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:20 PM

Should I do this with each individual key?

Old 06-21-2011, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mr_Shamrock
From my experience when this system is having an issue the truck will turn over, but just not start. If your truck isn't doing anything I would be leaning towards an ignition switch or other issue.

Absolutely nothing! No click, no sound!