Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob with Stupid Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 01:11 PM
Default Noob with Stupid Questions

Recently picked up a 1979 GMC Sierra Granda 15 4x4 and am looking for information on how to get it back up and running in tip top shape.
Engine runs strong , 350 5.7, no issues there , other than loving the taste of gasoline. But that is expected

My main issue is the transmission/ transfer case, it is extrememly low geared, 3 on the floor, but I suspect that all models of that year were geared super low. Secondary to that is suspension. Any suggestions to a good tranny/transfer case that will get me a couple more higher gears, but at the same time keep my low gearing on the bottom end?

Any sugestions for a beefier suspension? This truck will by used in 4x4 mode only 20% of the time, but I want to make sure that when I go, it will handle strong.

Exterior paint and body, Clean, half camo half white primer, no major cancer or dings, I dont plan on doing much in the way of cosmetics, other than completing the camo, and maybe redoing the gauges on the inside, ( currently the inside dash is stripped, save for the gauges.)

Skipping the roll bars, winches, and fluff you see on alot of rigs, trying to keep the wieght somewhat lighter. Need that wieght for the tires !

Going to be a fun project/ play truck, so as I ghetto rig this beast out I will post some pics up, right now it looks like a beater from Mad Max.

Any tips or suggestions would be helpful to the uptenth degree. So thank you in advanced. With a little time and money, I think this GMC will be a keeper.