Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

o2 Sims

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 04:28 PM
Default o2 Sims

I have a 06 GMC 5.3 and I put hte hooker long tubes on it. THere are no cats now and I was wondering if anyone knew where to get simulators for it?
Thanks

Old 11-18-2006, 01:32 AM
Default RE: o2 Sims

You can do one of two things but both require you to clear the codes you will get since you have removed the cats (more on this below). You can buy CHEAPLY, a "USED," "Predator," programmer from EBay for this. The Predator's POWER FEATURES will not work on any other VIN once it is used unless you send it back to Demon and pay $99 to get cleared BUT, it will clear codes on any car (THE ONLY PROGRAMMER WHICH HAS THIS FEATURE) no matter who has used it. Hence, don't pay more than $150 - $175 for it. GM will NOT clear the codes for you since it will violate the Ca/CARB and / or your state EPA bylaws they must follow. No way around this. I would seriously suggest you get a set of universal Free Flowing Cats, GUT them, so it will appear that you are complying with EPA bylaws.
OK, the O2 SENSORS -> FORGET SIMS - THEY ARE BS and your PCM will not recognize them = you loose<-> And you will NEVER pass smog anywhere. You MUST buy OEM O2 Sensors from a GM dlrshp but make sure you check your driver door and see if your truck was made in Canada. The connection for the O2 Sensors from Canada are Square, from elsewhere are wide and thin. Look at your original O2 Sensors connections and make sure you get ones that match. Funny as Sht you ask this question tonight as I bought 4 today; FACT, for $399 as I have over 100k on mine and use Octane boost /106 Octane Fuel on a regular basis. To install the O2 SENSORS on long tube headers, you will need to go to a muffler shop (you should have done this prior to installing the long headers) and have them drill 2 holes each side, at least 6" apart (YOU MUST HAVE ALL 4 CONNECTED). Then have them weld the NUTS you bought at HOME DEPOT that are the same thread as your OEM O2 Sensors, over the holes they drilled. You can then thread the Sims, re-connect then clear the codes.
-> IF YOUR HEADERS ALREADY HAVE THE 4 PORTS FOR O2 SENSORS, DISREGUARD THE MUFFLER SHOP, DRILLLING HOLES AND THE NUTS<-
No matter, you must use all 4 GM OEM O2 Sensors and they must all be connected or you will loose big time. There is one way to get around the whole O2 SENSOR issue; get a re-programmed PCM (GoodGuys Rep Here) but forget about passing a smog test. I drive/race a 02Z28/SS and went through this whole scenario a few years ago with both Steve Cole and Tom Tbyrne. I opted, at their advice to go with the holes drilled, nuts welded on and OEM O2 Sensors which works the best with my mauler PCM. I bought universal cats and hollowed them out and placed OEM O2 SENSORs both "fore and aft," of the Cats on both sides. I am sure that others will have another way; this worked for me and I am sure that if you do a search on Inet, you will see a similar if not exact protocol listed above.
GL
Greek