Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Odd truck...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 11:01 PM
Question Odd truck...

A friend of mine has a 1994 Chevrolet Ext. Cab, 2wd, 1500 short bed with a 6.5L diesel. This combination dosen't make a whole lot of sense to me so I was wondering if this is a common thing? The mounting holes for the starter have fractured and broken on the block of the diesel, so he wants to swap in a gas 350 .. (I've tried to tell him that it's a bad idea), and the more I think about a 2wd 1500 diesel, well, seems like it would be something worth keeping together?

I've tried to explain to him that he has a 4L80e (I think) trans behind that monster, and if he is trying to be cheap about it then he just shot himself in the foot... because now he has to find a tranny to go behind said 350, and then the wiring nightmare. And, something I haven't tackled yet, but I would think that the fuel system would have to replaced entirely (other than a good cleaning of the tank, supposing he goes carb)

The 6.5 runs good, and the trans shifts smooth. The truck, as a whole, is in good condition, with the exception of the broken starter mount and the 1994 peeling paint issue. By now the flexplate will need replaced (I had to literally take a dog-chain off the starter to insert heli-coils last time)

Keep the 6.5, or?

Old 07-20-2009, 11:30 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

A 350 will work with that tranny. In fact. a lot of us are lookin to change out our 4l60e's to a 4l80e. Same bolt up to the motor but longer casing. He could actually put a very good and powerful 350 in there and call it a day!! I would. But thats just me.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:27 AM
Administrator

I like the prospect of a 6.5 diesel in a half ton. I've seen a few of them and what is even cooler are the late nineties suburbans with the diesel.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:48 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

If it runs good keep it. If he wants a gas motor sell the diesel and buy one with a gas motor. Why put all that time and money to build a truck that is very readily available already done by the factory? Plus he might find some diesel freak out there that would give him good money for his truck. There aren't alot of those 1/2 ton diesels out there. I did just see a 2 door Tahoe 4WD diesel at an auction last week that had people talking. I personally am not a fan of the pre Duramax Chevy diesels they don't seem to have any more power than a regular 350.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:20 PM

This truck in my honest opinion is worthless. Not to offend anyone but this one of the worst diesels ever made. It has a smaller tow cap, and WAY less power than the gas truck. I have always wondered why they made this truck for the few years that they did. You wont see too many of them around because they didn't make too many of them.

Sorry to rant like that but I would say if he does not mind it then keep it if you can fix cheap enough. You wont really get much out of it so it might be worth more to him to keep than what anyone could give him for it.

Good Luck either way!