Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

OEM radio/stereo stopped working!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 09:17 PM
Default OEM radio/stereo stopped working!

On a road trip this weekend my oem 6 disc changer stereo system stopped working in my 2003 Avalanche. At first it started turning off and off on it's own. Finally it stopped responding to any of the input buttons on my steering wheel and radio ***** themselves. Now the thing will go on and off for 20 seconds at a time.

I tried restarting the car. Even undid the battery negative cable and let it sit overnight. checked fuses and all to no avail.

Do you thin there is a fix or am I screwed and relegated to a new aftermarket unit? If I have to get an aftermarket unit is there one that contains a 6 disc changer built in that will also play mp3s? Will I still be able to use my steering wheel controls to control the head unit? Am I going to need a new amp or can it be powered off my oem amp?

I know, alot of questions but I'm hoping there are some knowledgeable gurus on here to point me in right direction and give answers.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:36 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Alpine head units have steering controls options. They also have multi disc player controls. And the new units have good power where you really dont need an amp. A descent unit could run about $140, the steering controls run about $39.
Head unit... http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...e-CDE-102.html

Steering controls... http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...xess-ASWC.html

And an added amp for 45 watts rms plug and play... http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...e-KTP-445.html

Old 02-21-2011, 10:04 PM

Is there a deck that will hold and play more than 1 cd? I'd like something that holds up to 6 cds like the stock head unit did.

And what is a DIN?

I'd like to keep it under $300 for just the head unit. Is there a unit that's worth it at that price that will also give me an lcd screen to play dvd's/cd? Preferably one that will hold more than one at a time?

Last edited by Chuckie; 02-21-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:06 AM

A DIN refers to the size of the radio. The standard radio size should be about 2" x 7" A double DIN radio would be much larger. A double din radio is more like something you might find in a motor home. It is a much larger head unit. Your radio might not be bad though. It could just be a bad connection somewhere. It's one of those things that you have to be patient with,and take your time tracing every single wire until you find the problem.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:16 AM

Your gonna have the din and a half. Also my factory did the same thing as to come find out it was shot. Double check it but it could possibly be gone.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:33 AM

Din and a half? What exactly is that? Is my Avalanache a double din?
How do I get my 6 cds out of the shot head unit?

Old 02-22-2011, 02:51 PM

There is din, din and a half, and double din. Its the height of the unit.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:02 PM

Take the cd player out. Wire it up to a 9 volt battery. I know that sounds dumb,but a 9 volt will make the radio come on. If it comes on with the small battery then you are dealing with an electrical problem. If you decide to get another radio,then take the broken one out,bust out a flat head screwdriver,and give the radio hell until you get the cd's out. I have had to do it once. I bought a cd I liked and it got stolen out of my camaro,so I bought another one and a friend lost it,and the 3rd one got eaten up by a bad cd player. Needless to say,on the 3rd mishap I made sure that I got it back courtesy of a screw driver,beer muscles,and determination.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:06 AM

I'll try the 9 volt batt thing.

On a head unit fitment. Does anyone know if this single din but 7 inch monitor unit would fit my 2003 Avalanche? I worry the screen may be too big and hang down covering my heater/ac controls.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...e-PLD70BT.html

Old 02-24-2011, 09:54 AM

Measure the oem cd player and compare those specs to the one that you are considering purchasing. I will tell you that I have seen alot of problems with the pyle brand. Some people might have good luck with them,but I sure havn't.